Go to filters for heavy machinery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine this could be a regional thing too, but what seems to be the average go to filter for heavy machinery in your area? I remember seeing some Napa filters posted here, but I cant recall the line.

What really sparked my curiosity is the combo bypass setup in the Napa filters. I wonder if some filters used for heavy machines have that setup?

I would have to say WIX made Napa stuff is probably the go to for many farmers and excavators here. (I am betting they buy in large quantities too.) I remember seeing a Baldwin on a Case IH a while back, but I imagine it was only used for the paint job.
21.gif

WIX is hard to beat, just for the sheer fact they can supply a filter for darn near anything. Working at a parts house with WIX vs Puro as their house brand made a lot of difference in getting equipment filters fast.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Are we talking oil, air or hydraulic fluid filters?

All of the above.

I would have to say in SE Texas and SW Louisiana that NAPA is the "go to" place for heavy equipment (farming type) filters. I have quite a few friends who still farm and they have NAPA on all of their equipment (including the trucks).

Contrary to popular belief Wix filters are some of the worst filters in terms of efficiency ratings, at least in MD and HD applications. There are much better options out there, I.E. Fleetguard, Donaldson, and Baldwin.

OEM is hard to beat in most applications. Cat, Deere, Fleetguard (Cummins), etc.

Last edited:
I've never read Baldwin being known for efficiency. Can't speak for the others, but you can't go wrong with OEM (in most applications) either IMO. Do they publish their efficiency ratings?

I really don't buy the efficiency bandwagon anymore.. A car can go 300k+ on the cheapest oil and filter possible without issues assuming it was serviced regularly.

Last edited:
Were not discussing passenger vehicles, we are discussing industrial machinery. Huge difference between a fuel filter in a passenger vehicle that only has to filter fuel well enough to pass through injectors at 50 psi and fuel that is passing through injectors at 30k psi. In the latter's fuel system, efficiency means a whole lot.
Then there's air filtration. Not so critical on your average N/A commuter car that never leaves the pavement but on a turbocharged engine running high duty cycles in a dusty field or construction site, dirt holding capacity and efficiency become very criticsl.

I guess my comment was directed more towards oil filters. I would be 100% confident running a WIX oil filter for any sort of machine as well as their air filters. I would be more inclined to buy whatever filter had more pleats though if it was being used in say a field or construction site.

I cant really speak for any heavy equipment fuel filters.

*I did buy 2 WIX fuel filters for our little diesel garden tractor. They were the junkiest things ever. Made in Russia too.

Last edited:
I can only relate to the filters Ive specifically looked at which was for a 5.9/6.7/8.3 Cummins, a 3208 and a 466. Wix doesn't even make the approved fuel and air filter list for Cummins/Fleetguard. For all I know they may be fine for passenger vehicles but based on the specs Ive seen I won't run them on anything I own.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I've never read Baldwin being known for efficiency. Can't speak for the others, but you can't go wrong with OEM (in most applications) either IMO. Do they publish their efficiency ratings?

I don't remember who, but someone here has emailed Baldwin with respect to efficiency ratings for specific filters and they have been very forthcoming.

For my Deere engines they get OEM and everything else gets FleetGuard, and as it works out Deere sells Fleetguard filters so I can get everything I need with one stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back