laptop started to freeze up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past week,My laptop has been freezing up. Everything freezes up for about 10-15 minutes,except for the arrow.I can still move that around but i can't click on anything.I even try ctrl alt del and it doesn't go there until it unfreezes. Laptop is cq50-110us, running Vista. I have gotten 1 or 2 pop ups in the center asking about running scrips or not. I hit yes. I have run Malwarebytes,Avast with no results.

Last edited:
How old is it?

Freezing is 90% of the time a software issue 10% hardware. When is the last time you re-installed it? How much ram?

Next time it freezes, control alt delete to see the task manager and see what is freezing? Is it the browser, a program, Norton...

edit - just saw that you "control alt delete. You're going to have to reinstall Windows!

Last edited:
that's not a complete freeze up, so it's not heat related.

The OS on the background maybe too busy (CPU/memory/HDD intensive) dealing with something.

Running AV+ malwarebytes to see if you caught something nasty, then take it from there.

Q.

in command run type msconfig....and see wich unnecessary programs starts at startup...and than unselect them (for next startup)

If that will not suffice...take all your data to external disc and go with fresh install..

www.dban.org mount that program on usb (update motherboard on the latest fw if it doesnt support that feature) or on CD...

From comments here...I asume that you have got some old laptop...try to install than some lighter version of OS....like win7 lite...but I dont know how is with piracy rules in US of A
smile.gif

I fix computers as a hobby. 90% of the time with messed up laptops it's just a bad hard drive. If it were me I'd just buy a 120 gb 2.5 inch ssd for around $60-80 and re install Windows.

that is a slow old laptop. What are you doing when this freezes up?

sounds like scripts on a webpage timing out... what webpage is it?
What browser?

Originally Posted By: 285south

Freezing is 90% of the time a software issue 10% hardware.

disagree. last 2 times laptop had intermittent windows freezing was HD dieing. IMHO, 7200rpm HD don't last in laptops due to heat issues.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
.... IMHO, 7200rpm HD don't last in laptops due to heat issues.

Based on my first hand experience, that depends on the laptop.
Some laptops provide their HD with a bit of cooling, while others do not.
When there is some cooling the 7,200 RPM HDs are fine. When there is no cooling even 5,400 RPM HDs overheat and die early.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
.... IMHO, 7200rpm HD don't last in laptops due to heat issues.

Based on my first hand experience, that depends on the laptop.
Some laptops provide their HD with a bit of cooling, while others do not.
When there is some cooling the 7,200 RPM HDs are fine. When there is no cooling even 5,400 RPM HDs overheat and die early.

you could be right. this is based on a specific laptop that was happy with a slow 5400rpm (that i still use in a different laptop), but ate 2 newer bigger 7200rpm hard drives since.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Toss it. Buy a new one. Lenovo has had some hella deals lately.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Time to replace it with a new computer. Lots of great deals right now.

Yes, with something that is probably a software problem...just toss it and buy a new one. No point in fixing what is most likely a minor issue.

OR

The first thing I would do is backup your data and do a clean install of Vista. Windows benefits from an occasional clean install. Formatting the hard drive will leave a clean slate and a fresh install will likely take care of the issue. If the hard drive is going down, a new SSD will make your laptop feel like a new machine.

PS-If you do end up with a new laptop, beware of the current Lenovo computers that come with spyware pre-installed.
http://www.cnet.com/news/lenovo-hit-by-lawsuit-over-superfish-adware/

I don't know how you get into the logs on Vista, but if there's a hard drive problem you may see clues of it in the system event log.

If you have any valuable data on this laptop that hasn't been backed up, back it up. Be conscious of the possibility of malware infecting any USB drives that you plug into it though.. that could be a bit of a mess.
If you've never made the recovery discs for this laptop, do that promptly. The procedure varies by laptop, but manufacturer should have instructions.
*If* the hard drive is failing then you want these things done before it's too late.

Once the recovery discs and personal files are secure:
Try running a long surface scan with a hard drive diagnostic utility. This will take hours. I like HDAT2, but each manufacturer has their own utilities also. There's a package you can download called the "Ultimate Boot CD" which has a bunch of useful utilities on it, including tools for testing hard drives. It's a handy CD to have around.
https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Do not test the hard drive until after you have backed up files and created recovery discs. The stress of testing the drive could kill it if it's already in the process of dying.

If the hard drive tests good, next thing I'd try would be one of the many bootable linux discs. A popular example that will support most hardware would be Linux Mint. You don't need to install it, just boot the disc and it will give you a GUI to click around in. If that disc runs without the freezing issues, then the problem in Windows is software, not hardware. Most likely malware related.

I hate trying to salvage an infected machine, so personally at that point I'd do a clean reinstall of Windows. Most laptops have a boot option, probably displayed on the initial splash screen, which will let you restore the factory Windows install.
Make sure you make backups of everything you care about first, because that restore function will literally put it back to how it was on Day 1.

The ability to use that restore function depends on recovery data which was left on the hard drive from the factory. All hard drives die eventually, so it's a good idea to make a set of restore discs so that you are not dependent upon that recovery partition. How to make those restore discs depends on the laptop, but the manufacturer should have instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back