Help me decide on new mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Your 1988 Honda is probably different than the OP's HRB.

Your 1988 Honda is probably a lot like my 2001 Honda Masters -- it's a real tank...THICK aluminum deck, GXV140 OHV engine, 3-speed shaft-driven transmission, ball bearing wheels, blade clutch, etc. You cannot just flick this mower around -- you have to drive it. But it'll last 50 years, and it's every bit a commercial-grade mower on part with the likes of the aluminum Toro Super Recyclers, older Snappers, etc. 'Specially when used in a residential environment.

Mine's a 2001 and you'd never guess it wasn't new. I love that mower.

Yes, mine is a HR214. Shaft drive, aluminium deck and ball bearing wheels. I assumed they were all this good. I guess you don't make much money when your product lasts 50 years

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Your 1988 Honda is probably different than the OP's HRB.

Your 1988 Honda is probably a lot like my 2001 Honda Masters -- it's a real tank...THICK aluminum deck, GXV140 OHV engine, 3-speed shaft-driven transmission, ball bearing wheels, blade clutch, etc. You cannot just flick this mower around -- you have to drive it. But it'll last 50 years, and it's every bit a commercial-grade mower on part with the likes of the aluminum Toro Super Recyclers, older Snappers, etc. 'Specially when used in a residential environment.

Mine's a 2001 and you'd never guess it wasn't new. I love that mower.

Yes, mine is a HR214. Shaft drive, aluminium deck and ball bearing wheels. I assumed they were all this good. I guess you don't make much money when your product lasts 50 years

wish mine was shaft drive, its a hydrostatic. Went and looked at the Toro and the Snapper Ninja. Got to say that Snapper is nice....
looking at the Hondas this weekend.

Snapper Hi-Vac nuff said

Snapper_Walk_HiVacOHV_r.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Snapper Hi-Vac nuff said

Snapper_Walk_HiVacOHV_r.jpg

Thats the one I looked at. Though I do not bag so the dealer showed me the Ninja. very tempting and yes it has a cup holder!!!!

Yep, okay, yours probably has the GXV120 engine (4 hp rated). Mine's the HR215 (5 hp rated) with the GXV140 engine. Nearly no difference between the two save for the cylinder bore I think. Excellent engines, these.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

Thats the one I looked at. Though I do not bag so the dealer showed me the Ninja. very tempting and yes it has a cup holder!!!!

I've got the Ninja commercial. Nice mower and a heavy deck, but it's steel instead of aluminum. The hi-vac pic above is an older model. Those small Briggs "intek" OHVs haven't been used in years. I couldn't keep anything in my cupholder given how rough and hilly my mowing is.

Originally Posted By: JTK

I've got the Ninja commercial. Nice mower and a heavy deck, but it's steel instead of aluminum. The hi-vac pic above is an older model. Those small Briggs "intek" OHVs haven't been used in years. I couldn't keep anything in my cupholder given how rough and hilly my mowing is.

Edit....never mind that is the older engine that was essentially a quantum with overhead valves.

Last edited:

The dealer actually mentioned that the holder shakes your beer a lot!
I am not really sure if the current Snapper is still a real Snapper.

Originally Posted By: GemStater
The dealer I just purchased my Echo trimmer from also sells Ariens riding and push mowers. That got me curious how Ariens compares?

Not sure. I wonder is Ariens is still Ariens or a shell of its former self.
these are the 2 mowers.
http://www.ariens.com/en-us/walk-behind-mowers
The Razor has a 159cc Ariens engine made by???????? or a Subaru.
The LM series has a Kohler or a Kawa.

Last edited:
headed out to look at the Honda's. I did see I could get a Toro Super Recycler with a Honda engine.
http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner/mowe...rsonalpacehonda

The best of both worlds??

It is a 160 (vs a 190 on the HRX series), what world do you feel it is better than a Honda in?

Do study up on the Honda model variations, they are mryad and can get confusing, also compare prices, I found that my dealer could beat the box store on one model, but not another. (Honda says they are identical between dealers and box stores).

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
headed out to look at the Honda's. I did see I could get a Toro Super Recycler with a Honda engine.
http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner/mowe...rsonalpacehonda

The best of both worlds??

It is a 160 (vs a 190 on the HRX series), what world do you feel it is better than a Honda in?

Do study up on the Honda model variations, they are mryad and can get confusing, also compare prices, I found that my dealer could beat the box store on one model, but not another. (Honda says they are identical between dealers and box stores).

Looking at the aluminum deck on the Toro.....
It does get confusing looking at the Hondas. Down to whether I want the hydro drive or the Smart Drive and the BBC. I dont bag just mulch. The 190 probably would be better in thick grass.

Last edited:

There hasn't been any 'real' Snappers for some years now. Snapper has been owned by Briggs and Stratton for probably 5yrs.

The expensive Snapper mowers with the friction wheel disk drive are the same parts as "real" Snapper. Bumping up to the commercial series 21" mowers adds steel wheels w/ bearings and a bunch of extra bracing on the handlebars. You get the 190cc briggs OHV with spin-on oil filter and throttle control too.

Like I say, it's a nice mower, just heavy and the roar from the deck is much louder than any push mower I've ever used. The engine is very smooth and quiet. Cupholder is useless aside from holding a bag of dog poop or an errant tennis ball, etc. LOL.

Last edited:

There hasn't been any 'real' Snappers for some years now. Snapper has been owned by Briggs and Stratton for probably 5yrs.

The expensive Snapper mowers with the friction wheel disk drive are the same parts as "real" Snapper. Bumping up to the commercial series 21" mowers adds steel wheels w/ bearings and a bunch of extra bracing on the handlebars. You get the 190cc briggs OHV with spin-on oil filter and throttle control too.

Like I say, it's a nice mower, just heavy and the roar from the deck is much louder than any push mower I've ever used. The engine is very smooth and quiet. Cupholder is useless aside from holding a bag of dog poop or an errant tennis ball, etc. LOL.

This.
http://www.mowersdirect.com/Snapper-7800968-Lawn-Mower/p15428.html
Now with the disk does it drive both wheels or just one??

Yep, okay, yours probably has the GXV120 engine (4 hp rated). Mine's the HR215 (5 hp rated) with the GXV140 engine. Nearly no difference between the two save for the cylinder bore I think. Excellent engines, these.

Do you need to set the valve lash on these motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back