Help me decide on new mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
This.
http://www.mowersdirect.com/Snapper-7800968-Lawn-Mower/p15428.html

Now with the disk does it drive both wheels or just one??

All that is is a Hi-Vac model with the vacuum chute removed and a cover plate installed in its place. Same deck. I think it's kind of a shame to make a mulching mower out of an otherwise awesome vacuum deck, but it's easily converted back to vacuum with a chute kit.

Both rear wheels are driven via a planetary gearbox coupled to a solid rear drive axle.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This.

All that is is a Hi-Vac model with the vacuum chute removed and a cover plate installed in its place. Same deck. I think it's kind of a shame to make a mulching mower out of an otherwise awesome vacuum deck, but it's easily converted back to vacuum with a chute kit.

Both rear wheels are driven via a planetary gearbox coupled to a solid rear drive axle.

Good to know, thanks! I mainly mulch 99.99% of the time. Thats why I am looking at the Ninja and Hondas.
http://www.snapper.com/us/en/push-mower/ninja

Last edited:
Looking at the aluminum deck on the Toro.....

I understand the attraction, I admit I'd prefer an aluminum deck because it is ... well ... aluminum...

I actuality I don't think it is a real benefit the nexlite deck is plenty tough and the paint won't come off of it.

...The 190 probably would be better in thick grass. ...

Definitely ...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Looking at the aluminum deck on the Toro.....

I understand the attraction, I admit I'd prefer an aluminum deck because it is ... well ... aluminum...

I actuality I don't think it is a real benefit the nexlite deck is plenty tough and the paint won't come off of it.

...The 190 probably would be better in thick grass. ...

Definitely ...

Looked at Home Depot. Same price as dealer or buy online and get free shipping and no sales tax.
THink Honda it is.
BTW HD had a recon Honda for $479. No BBC or hydro, has select drive.
Bad part it is outside, last night we had 3 inches of rain. Im sure that was great for it.

product_8210_500.jpg

I'd be very surprised if you didn't like the model 7800968.

Those mowers are an absolute pleasure to use.

product_8210_500.jpg

I'd be very surprised if you didn't like the model 7800968.

Those mowers are an absolute pleasure to use.

I am eyeballing that one! As well has the Honda.

This.

Yep. Snapper Ninja Commercial. I believe I mail-ordered it from Mowers Direct as well.

Yes, both rear wheels are powered, but the Commercial series includes a rear differential so you can easily make turns w/out stopping power to the rear wheels. It's a cast iron gearcase filled with grease.

Here's a pic of mine, showing the differential gear case.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Do you need to set the valve lash on these motors?

You can set the valve lash on them, yes. Will you ever need to? Not likely. All OHV lawn mower engines (that I know of) have adjustable valve lash. Many of the flat head engines do not -- valve lash is controlled by the length of the valve or cam follower.

Originally Posted By: JTK
chiefsfan1 said:
This.

Yep. Snapper Ninja Commercial. I believe I mail-ordered it from Mowers Direct as well.

Yes, both rear wheels are powered, but the Commercial series includes a rear differential so you can easily make turns w/out stopping power to the rear wheels. It's a cast iron gearcase filled with grease.

Here's a pic of mine, showing the differential gear case.

ahhhhhhh, cant decide. once I buy I am stuck. Looks like major bracing on the handle bar.
How hoes does the disk drive react in wet grass? There is a $35 rebate as well.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Friend of mine bought one called Gravely. How are those?

Decent, they bought Ariens or they bought Gravely?
They have a commercial push mower about $1100.

ahhhhhhh, cant decide. once I buy I am stuck.

I'd be very surprised if you didn't absolutely LOVE the Snapper.
My next door neighbor has been using them for 30 years in his
lawn care business. The best part about them is how ergonomic
they are. The handle is the best in the business in my opinion.
All you do is pull the operator presence lever before starting
and then fold that drive lever against the handlebar to make the
mower go. And the drive system is a real simple design that's
easily accessible for repairs. Parts are relatively cheap too.
The mower has six preset ground speeds to choose from.

ahhhhhhh, cant decide. once I buy I am stuck.

I'd be very surprised if you didn't absolutely LOVE the Snapper.
My next door neighbor has been using them for 30 years in his
lawn care business. The best part about them is how ergonomic
they are. The handle is the best in the business in my opinion.
All you do is pull the operator presence lever before starting
and then fold that drive lever against the handlebar to make the
mower go. And the drive system is a real simple design that's
easily accessible for repairs. Parts are relatively cheap too.
The mower has six preset ground speeds to choose from.

Yeah, It felt natural when I took it for a test drive. I noticed everything is accessible for repair.
The kicker now is I can get 11% off the Honda now.

Yeah, It felt natural when I took it for a test drive. I noticed everything is accessible for repair. The kicker now is I can get 11% off the Honda now.

I've heard those Hondas can be pricey to repair if the
shaft drive goes out. I've heard that on LawnSite.

Yeah, It felt natural when I took it for a test drive. I noticed everything is accessible for repair. The kicker now is I can get 11% off the Honda now.

I've heard those Hondas can be pricey to repair if the
shaft drive goes out. I've heard that on LawnSite.

I have been all over Lawnsite.
smile.gif

There are pluses and minuses on both. The Honda has a 5 year warranty with a additional year if bought by the end of the month. The Snapper has a 3 year warranty.

Analysis to paralysis lol

ahhhhhhh, cant decide. once I buy I am stuck. Looks like major bracing on the handle bar.
How hoes does the disk drive react in wet grass? There is a $35 rebate as well.

The disk-o-matic (or what ever they call it) is the best self-propelled system I've ever used. Super simple, very well built and you truly have infinite speed adjustment. You literally have to RUN behind the machine if you set it to max ground speed. I've never had issues with it in wet conditions. I estimate I have about 80hrs on this mower and the disk drive system shows no signs of wear. I bought it and started using it in June 2011. Like I say, my only complaints with this mower is it's loud (ROAR from the deck), it's heavy and the throttle control is kind of annoying in that you can't really idle the engine. You have a throttle lever with a big stroke on it, but the way the carb/engine is setup, it only really allows for very fast idle to max governed engine speed.

Last edited:
Talked to Snapper dealer about the commercial. He does not stock it. He is checking into the cost.
At Mowersdirect HOW can they ship a mower free at the same price I can buy at a dealer or HomeDepot? Then probably get better support if things go wrong.

Last edited:
Talked to Snapper dealer about the commercial. He does not stock it. He is checking into the cost.
At Mowersdirect HOW can they ship a mower free at the same price I can buy at a dealer or HomeDepot? Then probably get better support if things go wrong.

Pretty sure you can't get a 21" Snapper Commercial mower from those stores anyway. Any Snapper dealer should be able to order you one. I'd be curious to see how their price would be compared to MowersDirect.

To me, dealer network is a non-issue for a 21" mower. Even so, MowersDirect lists authorized service centers: http://www.mowersdirect.com/stories/413-How-to-Find-a-Service-Center-For-Your-Mower.html

Originally Posted By: JTK

Pretty sure you can't get a 21" Snapper Commercial mower from those stores anyway. Any Snapper dealer should be able to order you one. I'd be curious to see how their price would be compared to MowersDirect.

To me, dealer network is a non-issue for a 21" mower. Even so, MowersDirect lists authorized service centers: http://www.mowersdirect.com/stories/413-How-to-Find-a-Service-Center-For-Your-Mower.html

Dealer never called me back with the price. Hmmmmmm.
The I had a set back yesterday.
While driving to my dads grave site in the cemetery I had to scoot over on the road for a road hog SUV. The right front tire hit a sewer grate blowing it out.
mad.gif

it was the beater Sable not the Camry whew!
The money I had saved is now on the Sable in the form of 4 new BFG tires. The back tires needed new tires as well so I decided to do all 4. Funny how life throws curve balls at ya!
I still need a mower I hope it lasts till fall so I can resave. The deals may be better then too as close outs.
I will definitely the keep the good advice in mind!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I have a snapper I picked up used for $35 with the Briggs Intek engine. Got it cheap cause the guy that had it since new was upset he had it for 7yrs and it wouldnt start, plus he was moving from PA out to to the midwest somewhere. I noticed the pull cord pulled pretty hard. Came to found out these engines had compression release built into the cam and when the valves get out of adjustement, they pull over hard and wont start. Adjusted valves and cleaned the carb, though it didn't really need it. Thing hasn't let me down in the 2 years I've had it, and its now about 9 or 10yrs old. I do need to get a new rubber drive disc for it as the old one has a flat spot in it and makes the whole mower shake if I go any faster thank 2nd gear. I love the drive system though. Hit an old flag hold that was sticking out of the ground last weekend though and stopped it dead. wedged the holder between the end of the blade and the deck. barely even scratched the deck, just knicked the blade, but it wouldnt start. pulled the flywheel, found a cracked key. got a new one but haven't gotten around to putting it back together yet. Decks are pretty tough though. I do love the lay out of the controls though. the design of the drive engagement lever makes it easy to engage and disengage the drivek real quick, which is nice for my yard with all the stuff I have to mow around. I also have a mid 70's snapper with the aluminum deck I'm hoping to restore some day. mower its self really just needs new wheels and fresh paint, but the old 3.5h briggs has a connecting rod going out I think, or piston starting to melt, get aluminum particles in the oil everytime i use it. needs a valves adjusted or replaced, hard to start even after rebuilding the carb, and the muffler glows red when running, thats why I question the piston maybe starting to come apart as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back