Break-in gasoline (or diesel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you want the gasoline to do differently, exactly, when the engine is running in, as opposed the rest of its life?

There should be nothing to clean up. So.....I guess you could add a top lube, but it really should not need it.

I suppose you could run higher octane to avoid some pinging as the ECU looks for maximum efficiency. I would think pinging loads the bearings far more than maximum revs would, although for a much shorter time?
I suppose if you subscribe to the easy break-in theory, then avoiding pinging would make sense.

Change the fuel filter(s) and the air filter? Put a bottle of PEA in the tank next time you fill up.

Use a TT gasoline from a busy station.

And don't forget to keep a great big magnet in the trunk(lol).

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
a tight new engine produces more frictional heat, so is more likely to suffer detonation.

run the highest octane fuel possible.

Please explain how friction increases heat in the combustion chambers? Which is where extra heat would have an effect on detonation.

Actually, new motors are much less likely to develop either ping or detonation, because there is no carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. Older engines often develop knock because of excessive carbon deposits in the cylinders. New motors take quite some time, to have this problem develop.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Fill it when it's low, don't fill it when it's full.

I don't prescribe to this. The fuel is what keeps the fuel pump cool.
Oftentimes, when one needs to replace a fuel pump, it's due to the end user always running it bone dry and filling up then.

Originally Posted By: chefwong
Originally Posted By: horse123
Fill it when it's low, don't fill it when it's full.

I don't prescribe to this. The fuel is what keeps the fuel pump cool.
Oftentimes, when one needs to replace a fuel pump, it's due to the end user always running it bone dry and filling up then.

So......You suggest filling it when it is already full? Filling it when it is low.......Would seem to be sufficient.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
a tight new engine produces more frictional heat, so is more likely to suffer detonation.

run the highest octane fuel possible.

Please explain how friction increases heat in the combustion chambers? Which is where extra heat would have an effect on detonation.

Actually, new motors are much less likely to develop either ping or detonation, because there is no carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. Older engines often develop knock because of excessive carbon deposits in the cylinders. New motors take quite some time, to have this problem develop.

Friction is very high aroud the piston rings, and this an aera where knock is likely to start. A real problem with GDI engines these days.

A proper petrol or diesel engine doesn't get carbon build up, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back