Ball joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon my ignorance, but shouldn't the knuckle be making contact with the axle? The bottom bolt is as tight as I can get it.

2hdmbdv.jpg

Upper ball joint is improperly installed, it should be pressed in from the bottom before the knuckle is installed

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Upper ball joint is improperly installed, it should be pressed in from the bottom before the knuckle is installed

This.

Very interesting. The whole steering thing intimidated me so I just had it professionally installed about 4 years ago when I bought the axles. (They've just been sitting since.) I didn't know (and still don't know) much about the topic.

I don't know if its installed wrong though:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/knuckle_upper.jpg

*But it makes sense you would want it to push up against the axle rather than up and out of the axle. Lol.

Last edited:
Only one ball joint is load bearing, you just have to figure out which one it is.
wink.gif

Were you there for its disassembly, and is the shank rattling around loose inside the knuckle?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Only one ball joint is load bearing, you just have to figure out which one it is.
wink.gif

Were you there for its disassembly, and is the shank rattling around loose inside the knuckle?

No. I just kept the knuckles off.

I guess this poses an issue? Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back