Nissan Pathfinder factory filter (cut open) 7,500k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we have a factory Nissan filter from a 2015 Pathfinder. Think odometer said 7,595 miles don't remember exactly. Looks ok to me; what say you folks?

2ps0qc8.jpg

2vwbtwx.jpg

4kwkdz.jpg

2wprmls.jpg

6rhe0z.jpg

e5lb11.jpg

a1ny1u.jpg

dy8ym0.jpg

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Recommend buying gloves.

Why? It doesn't look cold there.:)

Leaf spring looks a little lame but I imagine it works fine. Nissan made in Mexico eh?

Looks like a decent filter to me.

Look fine to me. I prefer it to the made in China fiber endcap nitrile adbv Nissan filter many dealers used to sell shown below. Just me, though the made in China Nissan filter worked ok. And again, the louvered centertube, just a manufacturer design preference.

I'd bet though that the 1" longer 7317/14610 series with same specs would also easily fit and work just fine. Nissan specs the shorty 6607/14612 for whatever reason.

OEMs002.jpg

Looks fine.

Recommend buying gloves.
I was going to say the same thing-you don't want that used oil giving you skin cancer! It has happened to mechanics in the past, used oil has some nasty stuff in it.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Looks fine.

Recommend buying gloves.
I was going to say the same thing-you don't want that used oil giving you skin cancer! It has happened to mechanics in the past, used oil has some nasty stuff in it.

Only in the state of California.

I am not all too sure but I think many conditions are relegated to the confines of California
smile.gif

Just seems their state is the only one with charcoal issues has well.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I am not all too sure but I think many conditions are relegated to the confines of California
smile.gif

Just seems their state is the only one with charcoal issues has well.

I could never move to california. My fishing weights, oil products, cleaning materials, beverages etc. have all been known to cause cancer in the state of California. My death would be imminent...
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Look fine to me. I prefer it to the made in China fiber endcap nitrile adbv Nissan filter many dealers used to sell shown below. Just me, though the made in China Nissan filter worked ok. And again, the louvered centertube, just a manufacturer design preference.

I'd bet though that the 1" longer 7317/14610 series with same specs would also easily fit and work just fine. Nissan specs the shorty 6607/14612 for whatever reason.

OEMs002.jpg

The made in China 9E000 looks the same with black nitrile ADBV. The older made in Japan has orange silicone ADBV. I would never put oil filter with nitrile ADBV on my cars.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Looks fine.

Recommend buying gloves.

Only in the state of California.

Gather says New England, winkle says Ohio. Where does CA come in? CA is a big state, no lack of "conservatives", although ruining your environment is hardly "conservative." I would call it "liberal" to ruin your surroundings.

Quote:
...The made in China 9E000 looks the same with black nitrile ADBV. The older made in Japan has orange silicone ADBV. I would never put oil filter with nitrile ADBV on my cars.

And it's different in that the Gonher made in Mexico filter uses metal endcap (vs China fiber type) construction.

As for not using anything with nitrile adbv, some very reputable oil filter manufacturer use them even with their synthetic media offerings. Donaldson and Fleetguard are two such examples.

Generally speaking nitrile should easily be able to get 5-6k miles. But if one doing longer extended oci/fci's silicone is the better choice. Otoh, been many nitrile adbv filters from differing manufactures posted here that have gone well past 6k, and looked good and functioned well according to their OP's.

That said, when one can catch one Napa semi annual sale on their Gold filter, makes them the same or less many nitrile based oil filters, then it's an easy choice.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

As for not using anything with nitrile adbv, some very reputable oil filter manufacturer use them even with their synthetic media offerings. Donaldson and Fleetguard are two such examples.

Generally speaking nitrile should easily be able to get 5-6k miles. But if one doing longer extended oci/fci's silicone is the better choice. Otoh, been many nitrile adbv filters from differing manufactures posted here that have gone well past 6k, and looked good and functioned well according to their OP's.

Nitrile might be ok, but it is never as flexible as silicone that ensures a tight seal. Is it a coincidence ALL top filters are using silicone ADBV? Nitrile is used just to save a few dimes. Agree? If you want only the best, nitrile filters are certainly out of the list.

I stopped using Nissan OEM filters when they put Nitrile ADBV in it, let alone cardboard end caps. Now I use only Mobil 1 EP and Fram Ultra.

Last edited:
^^^^^In answer to your questions to me. Though I have no idea of cost per unit difference, obviously nitrile is less expensive to produce than silicone. However when used for the recommend oci/fci noted previously, nitrile generally should function as designed. Fwiw, GM ACDelco use nitrile adbv in thier factory and over the counter filters.

As for nitrile never being as flexible, don't know could be. The main advantage to silicone is it maintains it's pliabilty/flexibility over a longer period of time, thus making them a better match for extended oci/fci's.

As for all top filters using silicone, that would eliminate Donaldson and Fleetguard synthetic offerings, and the elusive ACDelco UltraGuard (UPF) synthetic. 'Reading this board' many members would consider them to be top tier filters.

As for the topic'd Nissan OEM, no particular fan. But as noted in my first post I find the OP's newer made in Mexico filter construction preferable to the previous made in China filter.

All that said, if having/using a silicone adbv makes one more confident then that's what they should use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back