welding helmet (mig)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small mig welder, I don't use it much these days, but it's a handy tool to have around the shop.
For about 20 years I have used it with a pipeliner type helmet, that fits me well and allows my head to get into some tight places without disloging.

The problem is, it's not self darkening, having used a SD helmet, I can really see the benefits.
However, I recently purchased based on ebay a solar SD lens that fit's my old helmet perfectly.

Wow, is this nice to use!
It was very inexpensive, and from China (sorry) but works perfectly, instant darkening, no flash whatsoever. And the 'Off' shade is perfect for grinding.

Just thought I'd share this.

Originally Posted By: expat
I have a small mig welder, I don't use it much these days, but it's a handy tool to have around the shop.
For about 20 years I have used it with a pipeliner type helmet, that fits me well and allows my head to get into some tight places without disloging.

The problem is, it's not self darkening, having used a SD helmet, I can really see the benefits.
However, I recently purchased based on ebay a solar SD lens that fit's my old helmet perfectly.

It was very inexpensive, and from China (sorry) but works perfectly, instant darkening, no flash whatsoever. And the 'Off' shade is perfect for grinding.

Harbor Freight? I had one fail and a friend had one fail. I purchased a Miller Classic which is far superior.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: expat

Harbor Freight? I had one fail and a friend had one fail. I purchased a Miller Classic which is far superior.

Well at 20 times the price ($100), I guess it should be.
But really, I don't like the shape. I'm sure it's great for welding on a bench, but laying on your back and getting a blob of weld under your chin is no fun.
If/ when it fails, I guess I'll just put the tinted glass back in.

If it's solar only you could have some problems in dark places. My solar helmet stops working under trailers and cars, so just replaced it with a solar/battery model. Cheaper and better than my last one.

Just another thought....Pay attention to the certification stickers on the helmet. I know the upper end stuff is certified for UV filtering etc. Not saying the inexpensive stuff isn't, but just pay attention. I remember back in the 70s old welders with cataracts were a dime a dozen due to looking at arcs all day with nothing but darkened glass lenses and no other filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back