Best Filter Cost Is No Object?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to beat the Fram Ultra Synthetic...even RP and Amsoil Champ Labs made synthetic media filters do not appear to be any better despite costing 2x more.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted By: dave123
Best Royal Purple 10-2835 and Jegs will ship it free Order some Red line along with it.

What's so special about the RP? Do you know the filtration specs on it?

Ed
They are typical syn media element which are about as good as you can bet.

Any Royal Purple filter. Those things are built like TANKS.

A close second would be the Purolator Synthetic. Another outstanding option.

You cant go wrong with either one.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I also liked the Bosch D +, and to my eye the oil looked cleaner with same oil and use.

I have to politely call this comment out. I do not mean to start anything but the way oil looks to the eye and the color it is has nothing to do with how good w filter is working or how good the oil is. Color is the poorest of methods to evaluate an oil or filter. The color has no correlation to quality except in extreme instances. I.e. Oil looks milky would be an indication of water in oil ect

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: carock
Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva uses a Bosch 3330 oil filter as standard. The bike only gets about 4000 miles a year. I would like to use the best filter for the job considering build quality and fine filtration capabilities. This bike is a long term keeper so a few extra bucks on a filter isn't going to break the bank. Right now the best filter I know of is Amsoil, but there may be better choices.

The 3330 cross references to a TRD filter PTR43-00080. That filter is probably very similar, if not identical to the Amsoil and RP filters. They're all 3 very good, if money is no object.

Bosch is a well respected name, but the filters produced under the Bosch name in N.A. are terrible. If you can get a European made Bosch it'll be comparable to Mann, Mahle and other OE factory fitted filters.

These cross reference the 3330;

Mann Filter ML 1003
Mann Filter W711/80
Mann Filter W712/37
Mann Filter W712/38
Mann Filter W712/43
Mann Filter W811/81
Mann Filter W920/80

It looks like the Microgreen might be the top choice with a synthetic full flow media and the special bypass filter mode. The bypass would have to fill up pretty quickly due to the small size, but the bike doesn't get many miles between filter changes.

I'd like to see any screw-on filter outflow or out-particle count a Trasko, which is available in both the required PH3614 size, and an inch longer PH3600 oversize if their is room. Its also a heatsink cooler if there is some air flow around the filter. And, if filter is visible, it sure is purty. If filter is out in the open, the housing is pretty thick and strong so I'd wager that it could take a debris hit better than any recyclable screw on can.

Best filter:
http://www.trasko-usa.com/cross-reference/cross-reference.htm

Worthy mention honorable 2nd place:
https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/pro...AD-2-58-O-RING/
https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/pro...AD-2-58-O-RING/

Not enough room for ??? Hang it off the frame!
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/f.../?code=BMK23-EA

If Bosch 3330 is your PN, then D3330 is an option comparable to the disposable fancy filters others mentioned.... disposable like the garbage canisters they are!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
NAPA Platinum - the Rolls Royce of filters.

28.gif
48.gif

Wix XP (also called Napa Platinum)
Mobil 1
Fram Ultra
Bosch Distance Plus
Purolator Synthetic

Real European-made Mann and Mahle filters

Mahle has started to outsource many of their filters to Mexico, and these are low-quality junk. Nowhere near as good as the real Austrian Mahle oil filters.

Mann part numbers starting with HU or W are good, they are the real deal, usually made in Germany, but sometimes Spain or Mexico. The HU-series is their catridge filters; the W-series is their spin-on cans, usually painted black.

Avoid the Mann filters whose part numbers start with ML. These are reboxed Purolator Classics, both in cartridge and spin-on form; the ML cans are usually painted white. Almost all of them seem to be US-made.

Mann makes both types of cartridge for the Ecotec:
ML1015 (reboxed L15436)
HU 6007x (real Mann, made in Spain)

Also, K&N used to be very good, but unfortunately has since outsourced to a cheap Korean company making them cheaply in Mexico and Korea, but without passing on the savings.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
NAPA Platinum - the Rolls Royce of filters.

28.gif
48.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I don't see how anyones single stage filters can beat Microgreens 2 stage parallel filtration method.

UD

How do you define best?
It may be that what you really need is something pretty good that has a heavy can to resist road debris damage and a dark color that won't mar the appearance of the bike.
You might consider either a black can K&N or an M1.
Both have thick cans which should resist damage and both are of a color that won't stick out like a sore thumb on your Guzzi.

THe Guzzi has the can in a well protected location, so rocks and debris can't get to it. THe best filter would be the one that protected the engine best for the relatively low mileage annual OCI

THanks to everybody for offering advice..

If you want good filtering efficiency combined with the durability of a wire backed synthetic media, then it would be hard to find anything better than the Fram Ultra for any amount of coin.
Since the filter is located where it won't be subject to damage from thrown road debris, can thickness isn't the issue I thought it might be.
I hardly ever see a Guzzi, much less get to look at one long enough to observe the oil filter mounting.

This is from Moto Guzzi's web site :

Good News for Moto Guzzi owners. Fram (a trademark of Allied-Signal Company) has recently authorized its PH6022 as a replacement filter for the UFI part number 2328700 (the filter used on recent big block Guzzis). Fram is updating its parts catalogue to include the cross reference as an authorized replacement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back