Best Filter Cost Is No Object?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any decent brand filter that recommends a filter for the application will suffice.

Show me clear, credible data that filter selection makes any tangible difference in real longevity, please. And no, I DO NOT ACCEPT all those worthless references to the GM and other biased SAE studies that do NOT represent real world conditions as your "proof". What I'm talking about is real UOA and/or other data that clearly shows using a super-premium filter on a motorcycle is going to extend the lifecycle of the bike past where 4k miles a year is ever going to alter the usefulness of the bike.

BMW filters have proven to not be all that super-efficient, and that does not stop their bikes from running seemingly forever. Honda's filter are known to be at the low end of efficiency, but Goldwing's last forever. I've got a friend that has an older ST1100 with almost 185k miles on it, and he only uses the normal Honda oil and filters; neither are top-tier in terms of the market choices, but that engine just keeps running. My wife's Village we recently sold had just shy of 250k miles on it, using only "normal" products and the UOAs and physical condition of the engine was in fantastic shape. My daugher's Galant has 220k miles on it with just "normal" oil and filters; she's only a year away from college and I have every expectation that engine will take her the entire four years in all her travels. My buddies older ZX1000 has almost 115k; uses only Napa filters and oil.

And yet you're worried about using the "best" filter for a bike that would take you 20 years to accumulate 80k miles. Now, either your Guzzi has a terrible condition that would make "normal" products unserviceable, or you're grossly overstating the need for top-tier stuff.

Why not run some trials? Use some "normal" filters and track your wear rates. Do this a few times. Then change your selections and test again. PROVE to me, SHOW us, that a premium filter actually matters in your application. Exhibit the real, tangible data that shows your ability to manipulate the wear rates past normal variance simply by choosing a filter. Then take all your data and compare/contrast it to macro data. Or, more importantly, do a micro-data study; should only take you about 240k miles to do so, based upon 4k mile OCIs. (That would be about 60 years, based on your typical mileage). If you can show me a true statistical range shift outside normal variation then I'll apologize publicly and willingly enforce a self-ban for a month.

Ahhhh ... never mind. Just buy the most expensive filter you can find, then offer them 20% more money over MSRP just to make absolutely sure it's "the best". That way you'll sleep well at night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back