10 Best vehicles nobody buys

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first when I saw this link I was thinking
"well duh, of course not everyone is going to buy a Lambo/Ferrari/Bugatti etc, they are all priced too high!"

After going through this list I gotta agree. The cars are downright awesome and trend-setting, yet nobody buys them since they are too...different?

What say you Bitoggers?

http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/the...amp;date=050415

The Mazda 5 and the Ford Flex are two I think are butt ugly. The rest I could deal with, especially the Mazda 6, if I'm looking for a 4 door.

If I had a family the Flex would definitely be on my short list. It has way more utility than an Explorer. I don't know where the stigma around wagons came from, but they are all around better than a comparable SUV.

I would love to buy a new 3-series wagon, if it were available with RWD and manual trans. It is not.
frown.gif

Some great cars their, the CTS and ATS are excellent, the XJ is the last good looking big sedan.

I never understood why wagons don't sell well, little CUV's are [censored] to drive, don't hold much, and ugly. A nice E class, BMW, or Volvo wagon is an actual car and can hold so much more cargo.

Fun fact, the E63 AMG wagon is bought by Mercedes most wealthy demographic. Average net worth of an E63 AMG wagon buyer is well over $5m. I believe the average net worth of a CL buyer is in the $1-$2 range, income vs balance sheet money. Typical E63 AMG wagon is purchased as a 3rd, 4th or 10th car for a vacation house or wife.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I never understood why wagons don't sell well, little CUV's are [censored] to drive, don't hold much, and ugly. A nice E class, BMW, or Volvo wagon is an actual car and can hold so much more cargo.

Agreed. It's all about sitting high up for most buyers, I think.

Sitting high makes people feel safe, also its about image. So they suffer with a choppy SWB ride like a Jeep without any of the Jeep goodness.

Last edited:
I guess you could just look through low-volume car models and find ten good ones.
Basically what CD did.
If these cars were seen as awesome by the broad market, they wouldn't be on a "nobody buys" list.
Tastes and opinions vary.

I have the ATS, it's the best driving car I've ever had. I've only had it 2 years but very happy with it so far.

I have never actually seen an ATS in real life
smile.gif
really.

BMW 3/4 series and Audi A4/5 are most popular(by a long shot) in this area(coastal New England) and we have a caddy dealer nearby.

Sitting high makes people feel safe, also its about image. So they suffer with a choppy SWB ride like a Jeep without any of the Jeep goodness.

Subaru Outback is the only one who got it right in terms of appeal for wagons given sales. The ground clearance while wonderful for deep snow detracts from its handling but lets them classify it as truck for CAFE.

Buying public is going with known brand(s) and many trust Consumer Report in reliability ranking. Mazda 6 is better than both Accord and Camry but only 53,xxx sold last year compares with more than 300k sold by Camry and Accord.

Same for Mazda 5, less than 12k sold while Odyssey sold more than 10 times that.

When the Flex came out, I expected it to outsell the Edge. It looked so much better, had so much more room, had a retro vibe going but with all the modern practicality, etc. Boy was I wrong, and I still can't believe it. For a while it was in serious contention to be our next family car, but then the WK2 Grand Cherokee came out with rear drive and that put the final nail in any desire to own a Flex. I'll own front-drive (or front-drive based AWD) vehicles, but only if its the only option for the type of vehicle.

I'm not really sure why the Cadillac ATS and CTS, the XJ, and the Porsche are on that list. Those sales numbers really aren't that far off for relatively high-end high-priced vehicles. The FRS/BRZ surprises me though- even moreso that of the two the Scion is doing so much better than the Subaru. Exactly the opposite of my preference. Again. No surprise there. :p

I love Mazda.. (I have a 6.) But there is not a Mazda dealer that serves my area. It's a several hour drive one-way to find one.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I have never actually seen an ATS in real life
smile.gif
really.

... or did you just blink and think it was a CTS seen from a distance? Its definitely not breaking any new stylistic ground for Cadillac... :)

You'll see its platform a whole lot more when the Gen VI Camaro is built on it.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Subaru Outback is the only one who got it right in terms of appeal for wagons given sales. The ground clearance while wonderful for deep snow detracts from its handling but lets them classify it as truck for CAFE.

As an owner of a '12 Outback, the high clearance is an excellent selling point, when you actually live where it snows. If I lived where everything got plowed right away, a Legacy wagon (Which is what an Outback is, before the lift) would be adequate.

I Always think of my Outback as being a smaller vehicle than my '00 4runner......but it is every bit as big inside, and not near as tall, with the same basic ground clearance. It is also better in snow, though not as good in true off road conditions.

My dad has a 2015 CTS. That is a terrible car, looks great and run fast. The interior is nice, but too many buttons in it. The back end likes to brake loose turning at any speed. Brake petal is too hard, don't know how hard you are pressing. My Pontiac rides better then his. Nice looking car, but not that awesome.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I have the ATS, it's the best driving car I've ever had. I've only had it 2 years but very happy with it so far.

this doesn't surprise me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back