Leaky seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have leaky seals on the rear axle/differential of my 2002 Expedition. Is there a differential fluid available that would make the seals swell up similar to the effects that maxlife high mileage oil has on engine seals?

I'm with Trav, do it right and replace any leaking seals. No additive will stop the leak, so all you can do is top up the fluid.

Do you know which seals are leaking?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Change the seals. I assume this is AWD so any additive may mess with the LSD clutches then you have a real problem.
+1 tearing apart a differential is not my favorite thing to do.

If you're not up to replacing the seals yourself, and I wouldn't blame you, you may be able to find a lower mileage unit or even a new/rebuilt one and save yourself a headache.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
If you're not up to replacing the seals yourself, and I wouldn't blame you, you may be able to find a lower mileage unit or even a new/rebuilt one and save yourself a headache.

Its a small inexpensive job, if he cant do it its a lot cheaper to get it done than replacing the diff.

The only somewhat complicated seal on that diff to replace is the pinion seal. IIRC 2002 is still a solid axle so the diff cover and axle shaft seals are cake.

The 02 is still a live axle. the pinion seal is a half hour job, it not bad as there is no need to change the crush collar or anything else just the seal.
Just pop the drive shaft and impact the nut off.

The 02 is still a live axle. the pinion seal is a half hour job, it not bad as there is no need to change the crush collar or anything else just the seal.

I don't understand. Is there a solid spacer? Otherwise you'd be changing the pinion depth.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I don't understand. Is there a solid spacer? Otherwise you'd be changing the pinion depth.

There is a crush sleeve, but it is an accepted practice to mark the nut against the gear and when tightening go slightly past it to make up the difference. It isn't perfect and not by the book, but works 99% of the time.

I would only change the seals if lube was leaking out the axle shafts or a major pinion seal leak. If the pinion weaps a little, I would just top off as needed. I have heard and experienced it myself by having a pinion seal changed incorrectly, the unit went from being quiet to having gear whine. If the pinion pre load is changed, you likely will have a whine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back