Incompetence

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've mentioned, I'm a plumber, and plumbing contractor. I run a tiny little shop, just myself and two employees. My focus is on new construction, tenant improvement, and remodeling. I prefer to deal with general contractors rather than homeowners, which is one of the big reasons I am not in the service-and-repair market.

I got a call Friday from someone who was referred from someone I had done work for. He had a rental with drain problems, and had called a local company who said they were unable to clear the drain, and it would cost X amount of thousands to break up the slab and replace all of the waste piping. Could I look at it? I explained that I'm not in the drain cleaning business, but I could look at it Saturday afternoon. When I got to the house, I found out that three plumbers had been there before me. There was obviously a main line stoppage, and the plumbing was pretty much unusable. I realized that the tenants (large family) were now going to have to make it through the weekend being able to flush the toilet about twice a day, if they didn't take any showers. Ding-blast it, I'm going to go rent a machine and see if I can clear this.

Rented the machine. There's an exposed main line cleanout in the front yard. I run the cable about six inches upstream and hit a stoppage. Cleared it in about five minutes, and the sewage starts flooding down the drain. Then, oh [censored]. Literally. There's also a stoppage down the line, and the sewage is coming up. So I run the cable down the line and clear that one, though it's considerably tougher. Roots all over the place.

So now they can flush, and shower, and wash dishes until we make repairs. I gave the landlord a bid, considerably lower than his previous bid, since it looks like we're not jackhammering the slab.

I'm not claiming to be some sort of super-genius plumber. Any experienced plumber worth his salt would be able to do this. I know a couple of people who aren't plumbers who could have figured this out.

Vincent Bugliosi said that in any job field, the majority of people are incompetent. I'm starting to agree. There are plenty of good plumbers, auto mechanics, and counter people out there, but they're way outnumbered by the bad ones.

^^^^this.

I witness that in many various different fields I worked/have experienced in: from IT to networking to automotive repair to plumbing to electricians, etc. You name it, I've seen it.

Q.

I totallly agree. Most people don't really want to invest the time to become experts in their fields. That's why I'd rather do things myself if possible.

The scary thing, is that This even applies to Doctors.

I bet the first 3 plumbers were just not interested in a quick simple $200 job. They wanted to bust up the slab and backhoe the lawn because that is a big juicy $20k job.

My experience with HVAC contractors has been abysmal - I'd say 85% of them recommend a new furnace right away, no matter what. Probably has more to do with sales commission bonus money rather than incompetence. Who wants to replace a $50 switch or valve when you can install a $5k furnace and get a bonus?

Yep, incompetence and an IDGAF attitude are rampant across all fields. Pretty difficult to seek out people that're ACTUALLY experts/skilled at what they do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: howie2092
I bet the first 3 plumbers were just not interested in a quick simple $200 job. They wanted to bust up the slab and backhoe the lawn because that is a big juicy $20k job.

My experience with HVAC contractors has been abysmal - I'd say 85% of them recommend a new furnace right away, no matter what. Probably has more to do with sales commission bonus money rather than incompetence. Who wants to replace a $50 switch or valve when you can install a $5k furnace and get a bonus?

I have to agree with this.... No need to deal with callbacks 6 months later either.....

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I got a call Friday from someone who was referred from someone I had done work for. He had a rental with drain problems, and had called a local company who said they were unable to clear the drain, and it would cost X amount of thousands to break up the slab and replace all of the waste piping. Could I look at it? I explained that I'm not in the drain cleaning business, but I could look at it Saturday afternoon. When I got to the house, I found out that three plumbers had been there before me. There was obviously a main line stoppage, and the plumbing was pretty much unusable.

You're honest businessman that why you had reference.

The others should know how to clear the clog, at least temporary, but they smell good money if they let it be and brake up the slab ...

We live in a development with community sewage treatment.....Each house has a septic tank and a pump, which pumps to a small treatment facility.

The utility is operated as a coop. Each homeowner is responsible for their tank and pump. We do collect a fee that covers pumping the septic tank every 3 years, just to keep the treatment facility from being overloaded.

The tanks have a filter on the outflow side, (Called a "Biofilter) that needs to be cleaned......I tell people yearly, but in truth, mine is fine for the duration between 3 year pumpings.

About a month ago, I got a call from a neighbor.....She had a plumber out, and he insisted that her tank needed to be pumped, which was causing her backup. I asked if he had checked the filter? What filter?

Long story shortened, I went and pulled the cement cover, and pulled the filter out myself.....While the plumber watched, with a sh!t eating grin on his face. Near as I could tell, he is one of those plumbers that will not get his hands dirty. I do not know how much he charged the homeowner to watch me fix her problem for free, but it did grate a little.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Yep, incompetence and an IDGAF attitude are rampant across all fields. Pretty difficult to seek out people that're ACTUALLY experts/skilled at what they do.

Unfortunately you are 1000000000 % correct.

It's not true in every field though. Regional airline crews in the US and Canada are among the most under paid yet have an exceptional safety record as well as on-time arrivals. Very professional group of people, considering what they have to put up with.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: mclasser

Unfortunately you are 1000000000 % correct.

Especially true in the automotive service and repair industry.
I would say that 75% are either crooks and/ or incompetent.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Yep. I work in healthcare and 20% of all employees shouldn't even be taking care of a sick dog.

That's messed up...Where do you work? I would trust any of my co-workers with life and or my families lives....

I work for a DOD contractor. Working with Government employees is very enlightening. I have worked alongside some that were making well over 100k a year and had zero clue as to what was going on. Watching my taxpayer dollars being flushed drives me nuts. I have had to just walk away at times so as to not shoot my mouth off and lose my job.

Congrats for going the distance, employing common sense and solving the problem. I agree that many, in many fields, have simply given up, don't care, are incredibly lazy...slouching towards uselessness. And have arrived!

Who is John Galt? Where is common sense?

And yet the A students work for the C students.

Every industry wants to automate, comptuerize, flow chart-ize things so knuckledraggers can get by.

What are we going to do to employ the top half of the class? They're doing "financial engineering" now.

Is a mediocre manager going to hire someone who'll show him up?
35.gif

This is why I, and probably a lot of the folks on BITOG, do as much repair work themselves as possible.

On of my summertime goals is to service our furnace. I've never done that before, it should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back