Engine Sensors Dealer vs. auto Parts Store. Long..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for opinions on engine management sensors. Many times when we rebuild engines there are problems with sensors maybe a map sensor or an 02 sensor or a crankshaft position sensor or whatever causes a cel.. Many times when a vehicle comes in there is a cel and sometimes they come in apart or not running but for whatever reason the cel light is on or the engine does not run or runs bad. After we rebuild them and install them we can't have any cel lights on so we have to replace a sensor or maybe more than one so here is the age old question. I learned a long time ago to use quality sensors, forget the cheap auto zone ones they are more trouble then they are worth. I like OEM but that adds $$ to the price of the job (We charge only what we pay for them) I always tell customers that sometimes we have to buy extra parts and that may add to the price. Well today i had to replace two 02 sensors and i got them from the dealer and the customer (another shop) was not happy that they cost so much he insisted that the cheap sensors are just as good! Am i missing something here? I like quality parts but this other shop which is pretty good insists that auto parts sensors got a lot better. I disagree i believe there is less drama with a dealer part sometimes.. Of course the price is higher but the time saved makes up for it.. Does anyone agree with me? I may rethink this depending what others think.

In general, NAPA Echlin sensors have worked well for me. Of course, OEM is always a safe bet. When talking O2 sensors specifically, I buy them from NAPA, but use the brand that was OEM for that particular vehicle (Bosch, NTK, etc).

I think you are in a much better position to have the knowledge and experience than any of us DIYers. I think I've changed out 4 O2 sensors in my life using OEM sensors each time. That's not nearly enough to draw a meaningful opinion. But one thing I will say is that the cost of parts can go way down if you have a few days to order them online.

The CEL came on in my car and I ordered the O2 sensors from Amazon at about half the cost of buying them local. $50 vs $100. When the CEL came on in my wife's car, she didn't want to wait for Amazon so I bought the part local and paid a lot more than I could have paid from Amazon. I used a coupon to bring the prices closer.

Since you can order parts online, I'm thinking you should be able to get the OEM sensors from Amazon or equivalent for about the same price as the cheap sensors from AutoZone.

Personally, if I was paying for a rebuild, I'd want the better sensors. If the CEL comes on, it makes the shop that rebuilt the engine look bad.

Denso and Hitachi sensors are good and often OEM reboxed. Some parts store parts are [censored], and some of them are reboxed OEM.

Airtex is part of Fram, so you can email Motorking with any questions you have on their sensors.

The key is to use good brands even OEM but not purchase at dealer price...

Bosch O2 at dealer 150$... Same sensor at my supplier 85$
I would equip your self with spare parts database... you can cross reference OE part numbers to OEM numbers etc...

This will save $ and guarante fit...

No cheap sensors have big issues depending on the application. Chalk it up to not being able to make everyone happy. Keep buying quality parts so you don't have angry customers with failures down the road.

I like to OEM where practical (RockAuto and Amazon make this easy)

Playing stereotypes and cross referencing will often yield the OEM part
Hitachi, Denso, NGK/NTK, Beck Arnley, etc

I'm not paying double the price at the Toyota parts counter for the same Denso spark plug or cam sensor when I could get it quicker and cheaper online.

That being said, if it's hard to get to, mission critical, or the aftermarket doesn't do it well, I have no trouble pricing the best OEM/Factory part, for peace of mind and sanity's sake.

Oh, man... you ask for input on a decision affecting your professional auto repair business and The Internet is trying to tell you to use RockAuto - like always. *****

In all seriousness, just use OEM unless you know for a fact that the aftermarket part is made by the OE supplier. The difference is that those guys have the original specs. Due to patent licensing or reverse engineering issues, imitation engine management parts can mislead the ECU by returning incorrect voltages for a given engine condition.

Since you're giving these sensors away at cost (!?!) I'm sure that the customer is paying close to what they would pay at the parts store counter anyway.

Have you worked on your wholesale discounts?

You're the only one warrantying your work, so it's up to you to decide what kind of parts you're willing to bolt in your beautiful rebuilt engines.

If the other shop were so awesome how come they don't do engines? Stick to your guns.

A lesser approach would be to get a junkyard engine and have two of every sensor... well, maybe not rear o2s, but you get my drift. But since they, or the ultimate customer, want a zero mile motor, they might as well have top shelf engine management to go with.

I assume you have time constraints and want to get the car out of your shop without waiting several days for mail order parts. Fast, cheap, good, pick any two.

For what it's worth, regarding Delphi parts, they do list in their parts catalog whether or not their part is the actual OEM part, so in the instances in which they are the OEM manufacturer, you could possibly save a few dollars there.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Oh, man... you ask for input on a decision affecting your professional auto repair business and The Internet is trying to tell you to use RockAuto - like always. *****

In all seriousness, just use OEM unless you know for a fact that the aftermarket part is made by the OE supplier. The difference is that those guys have the original specs. Due to patent licensing or reverse engineering issues, imitation engine management parts can mislead the ECU by returning incorrect voltages for a given engine condition.

Since you're giving these sensors away at cost (!?!) I'm sure that the customer is paying close to what they would pay at the parts store counter anyway.

Have you worked on your wholesale discounts?

You're the only one warrantying your work, so it's up to you to decide what kind of parts you're willing to bolt in your beautiful rebuilt engines.

I agree with your post except that Rockauto is still a good option because they also sell OEM parts such as AC DELCO and the prices are much less even with shipping. I use the all the time.

I decided to use only oem i have commercial accounts with all the local dealers and they deliver the part within an hour most times.. I don't know why i was even thinking of going cheap..The only thing i changed is that i put a sign up saying we only use oem sensors because they seem to work best. I don't have time to order online and wait.
I have been using OEM for years on most sensors and have not had any real trouble so this is what i will continue to do.. I had to ask opinions here because maybe i was missing something like Allen at the other shop we were rebuilding for said. He claimed he uses after market sensors all the time and everything was great. Next time someone feels they paid to much for an oem sensor here i will show them what i paid and refuse to use junk on one of our engines.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I agree with your post except that Rockauto is still a good option because they also sell OEM parts such as AC DELCO and the prices are much less even with shipping. I use the all the time.

Some AC Delco is an aftermarket service grade, chinese brake rotors being the first example I can think of.

Not slamming them, but continue with caution. At least the customer shouldn't be ripped if you tell them they got AC, even if it came from the same foundry as Centric or whomever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back