Fake emails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goofed up this morning and clicked on a fake email that looked like it was from PayPal. Provided my email and password but nothing else before I called Paypal. They said it was fake. So I changed my password right away and also my Facebook password since they are the same. Also ran a security scan and use a work computer (so it has additional firewalls).

Anything else I would need to do to make sure I am okay (and my bank account doesn't have a bunch of money missing)?

I have never fallen for this before but thought it was legit since I had been buying stuff for a friend and sending it to 2 different address.

I would immediately find an underground organization that can get you a new social security number and identity. Cancel any and all bank/credit card accounts, quit your job, and run. Get your wife and children and move to Idaho and live with Mitt Romney and assume your new found identities and work on a farm somewhere and fall in love with potatoes.

Jk.

I would maybe unlink any cards/accounts that don't have fraud protection (credit cards don't make you pay for unauthorized charges, which you obviously know). Other than that I can't think of anything and honestly I don't know if it were me that I'd even unlink accounts. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Last edited:
I'd close the paypal account and start over. Tell your bank to accept nothing to or from paypal.

Google paypal two factor authentication.
I guess the longer name for it is PayPal Security Key for mobile phones.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up doing what spackard suggested and also deleted my bank account info from PayPal for now and just left the debit card info. Thinking about it the only window they had to steal anything was from the time I put gave them the password to the time I changed it (less than 10 minutes).

I called PayPal again and the lady didn't seem to be too worried. I honestly don't think anything will happen but will keep an eye on it just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back