Amazon account headache

This is the first issue I've had with Amazon for the many years I've had an account there. Just out of the blue I'm asked to reset my password. As a security question, it asks for the expiration date of a credit card. When I enter it, it says I'm wrong. Now I'm locked out and it says to call customer support.

OK so I do, and they ask me security questions like what were my last 3 orders. I tell her that no problem. What items do you have saved in your cart. I don't remember, don't think I have anything saved or ever had. She says I failed the security questions and I'm locked out. I should try again with another representative. Well, this was already the the third time I called. Anyway to contact someone higher up, hopefully in the USA that would know what to do?

I mean, where and how were you informed that your password needed to be reset? When trying to order something online?

Seems very sus. I've never had to reenter in my card expiration date to verify my amazon account or change my amazon password. Only time I've been asked that is to verify that I am the card holder, which required me entering in all the card details (but never for Amazon - only for Newegg.) I've also never been told by customer service of any company that I need to call another representative to unlock my account after the rep on the phone tried.

How did you get the password reset notification?

Last edited:
When you called customer support, where did you get the phone number? If you used a phone number included in the correspondence that told you that you were locked out, it may be a scam. Contact Amazon through their website and confirm whether or not this is real or a scam.

No email, directly on Amazon when I try to log in it says I need to reset my password.

Amazon.jpg

There is more going on here. Someone may be trying to access your account or have already done so.

I would call Amazon again.

AARP's helpline reports a jump in complaints about frauds tied to online sales in April, May and June, compared with earlier in the year, Nofziger says. Here's her advice:

• Beware of phony websites and phone numbers for Amazon. The actual toll-free customer-service number is 888- 280-4331.

No email, directly on Amazon when I try to log in it says I need to reset my password.
This would seem obvious to most, but did you forget your password and you were the one that made the multiple failed attempts ?

This would seem obvious to most, but did you forget your password and you were the one that made the multiple failed attempts ?
No. It asks me to enter the expiration date of one of my credit cards ending with xxxx, and when I do it says that's wrong. I've done THAT 3 or 4 times after which it was locked and I had to call.

If you didn't update your credit card info when the CC sent you a new card, Amazon may be using the old expiration date...

Back