Diesel delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Joel said - completely illegal. Any website that sells them or shop that installs them will say "for off-road use only" to prevent them from being liable.

Depending on where you live people get away with it because enforcement is lax. If you are in any emissions state or area within a state then good luck.

True that--don't they have OBDII checking, and a visual test?

Edit--ok, I see you are moving. Still illegal, but if were you move does not do checking...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
It is a violation of federal law to tamper with emissions equipment for vehicles used on public roads.
It is a violation to remove emissions controls on a vehicle used in a state where those controls have been mandated by the EPA because of inferior air quality. If one lives in Florida, for example,where the air is clean, or a number of states in the upper midwest, there is NO Federal mandate for emission controls, and no state mandate either. Draw your own conclusions.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
It is a violation of federal law to tamper with emissions equipment for vehicles used on public roads.
It is a violation to remove emissions controls on a vehicle used in a state where those controls have been mandated by the EPA because of inferior air quality. If one lives in Florida, for example,where the air is clean, or a number of states in the upper midwest, there is NO Federal mandate for emission controls, and no state mandate either. Draw your own conclusions.

Err, that is a new one on me. I thought Federal was federal, and covered all states. Just not with any teeth at the federal level, only state.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Being in school for diesel and living in a state with no testing, lemme tell you, EVERYONE here does at least an EGR and DPF delete.

Coincidentally, not long after my powertrain warranty ended I hit a big pothole and all of the emissions equipment fell off my 2007 Ram 2500. If was fortuitous, because my fuel economy increased and I have had fewer problems since then.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Being in school for diesel and living in a state with no testing, lemme tell you, EVERYONE here does at least an EGR and DPF delete.

Are they doing it on late model vehicles and successful in not seeing a CEL? I read about a few people who tried it on the Ram PU's with the VM diesel and struck out. I won't get into the legal issues, or warranty issues, I'm just curious.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Don't you have to have a tune if you want to do a delete? After the EPA fined Edge for these tuners are there even companies that will still do this?
Here was an article from back in 2013 when the EPA stopped Edge from selling these tuners:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/01/epa-says-dont-touch-paticulate-filter.html

Not sure about the Duramax and Fords, but on the 2007 Cummins I know you can get away without a tune. You need to plug "foolers" into the wiring harness for the pressure sensors that are upstream and downstream from the DPF. You still get a chime and overhead message every time you start the engine, but the engine will not go into 'limp mode' and will never initiate a regeneration cycle for the DPF.

Not sure where HerrStig drew the conclusion he does, but it is incorrect. Federal regs apply everywhere that an individual state has not implemented a stricter emissions standard, like CARB.

The issue becomes one of enforcement. With no emissions checking or inspections, there isn't any.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

The issue becomes one of enforcement. With no emissions checking or inspections, there isn't any.

Yup, this. My county does annual emissions checks under state law. EPA nailed my state in the late 90s for "Too many bad air days" and my state came up with OBDII checks as a "stay out of trouble" agreement.

To mess with this plan, we would have to hire a bunch of expensive nerds to prove that the new plan would effectively maintain the same good air. So, it lingers.

Enforcement limbo affects quite a few of us the deeper we dig. It doesn't make something on-paper legal, but a following administration can defund all the cops.

come and take it. all my emissions equipment. take it. the bazooka is out of cannonballs.

flag.jpg

If you're worried about going to jail, leave everything connected so it looks factory and plug up the hoses internally.

Write a map that shows the systems being 'ready' but does not allow them to operate.

Enjoy your new 'stealth' mod
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back