Chevron Lubricants Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used your Havoline 0W20 in my Fusion Hybrid. I was pleased with its performance in my car. Since this product is very difficult to find at the retail level (and your competitor products are all around), here are my best questions:

1) Some competitive 0W20 oils list a VI in the mid to low 170's. Havoline 0W20 lists at 168. Do you have the a)
formulation capability to offer a 180+ VI 0W20 with no apparent drawbacks that will leapfrog your
competitors? B) Will you be bringing to market any PAO based motor oils for consumer usage - for those of
us who are prepared to pay the price differences?

2) Is there any consideration within Chevron to market NON API motor oils that are geared towards higher
performance and racing engines - such as a Red Line Oil competitor?

Your statement "Our latest offering, Havoline ProDS, is a full synthetic motor oil with unbeatable wear protection." Does that mean it beats Kendall's published results on the Sequence IVA and IIIG wear tests? Or does that mean it simply passes the wear test to be called SN?

As a former manager of a Havoline Xpress Lube in the Chicagoland area, I have many, many questions that could and should be asked...

Nonetheless, why doesn't Havoline release more information regarding cold flow properties? As can be seen here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tsJSphzBj-WqIXqU9CcP7IQ/htmlview, none is available on PDSs.

Also, why advertise Isosyn technology as a rival to synthetic performance? Are there not concerns of a decrease in synthetic sales? In what way does it rival synthetic performance; wear, cold flow, volatility, etc.?

Last edited:
At one point in time, techron was stated to be suitable in gas and Diesel engines. Now it is only recommended for gasoline engines. Meanwhile, other vendors are offering high PEA content cleaners that are suitable for diesel and even in-crankcase applications. Is there a specific reason why techron can not/should not be used in Diesel engines? What about in the crankcase?

Second, what is your assessment of techron's capability to survive combustion and support cleaning of DI engines via reingestion? If not by that mechanism, is there another basis or product that would be suitable for properly cleaning valve buildup and other deposits unique to DI engines?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Dan55
Any plans for releasing a Multi Vehicle Atf for 2007 and later cars.

Their DexVI is essentially the same thing.

Any plans to increase marketing and distribution in the Northeast? Advance Auto is the only place that Havoline can be purchased in my area. Chevron Supreme is nowhere to be found. Delo is sold readily.
Based on the appearance of packaging, Advance Auto's house brand oil looks like a Chevron product in our area.

Hi, I have a few boxes of Havoline 0w-20 in my garage. Great stuff, but availability is non-existent (other than Amazon... which shows the newer packaging but ships the older packaging). Can we get better availability? I have use Havoline for years and with my new car requiring 0w-20, I am at a loss for the ability to not plan shipping etc for the product.

Havoline_zpsa11e8c3a.jpg

Thanks for supporting the ACC, MaddieonThings. Go Tigers!

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Can Chevron give us any information here about Havoline oil that show their superiority that doesn't sound like marketing talk or that we can't just read off Havoline's website? (Please don't use the word "unsurpassed" when just referring to barely passing SN tests, or any other misdirection. People on here are pretty smart and yawn big when flowery marketing-speak happens.)

grin2.gif

Chevron makes a great series of PAO base oils which I have used.

Can the Chevron rep state how they define synthetic base oils.

I..E., do you include the API Group III isomerized oils as synthetics and give a technical explanation as to why or why not?

Wondering if you can explain why Chevron/Havoline oils are almost impossible to find in Eastern Canada - I've found 1 store in all of Ottawa, Ontario that sells them (Partssource), and even they have cut back their selection.

I understand they are mainly a 'west coast' oil; but I would expect you to chase market share all over the country.

Is your high mileage a synthetic blend?

Are you going to bring your synthetic blend to market and make it readily available?

What specifically is the "deposit shield"?'

How are your oils more shear stable than other full synthetics on the market?

How are your base oils compared to Shells new GTL?

With the exception of working on a drilling rig exploring actively for Sinclair Corporation, every drilling rig I worked on for every major independent oil producer used Chevron lubricants. Period. To me, that speaks volumes.

Thank you to all who participated by asking questions. We will have the answers back from Chevron in a couple weeks.

Thanks,

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back