Fuel trap door missing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tom slick
I'd bet the door was never there but if it did fall in it won't hurt anything.
Here is some info on cell phones causing fires at gas pumps
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-phones-gas-stations
http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/wireless/cellphones-pose-no-gas-station-hazard
http://c-storeadvisor.gilbarco.com/2012/08/tap-pay-and-explode/

Not to say that a cell phone could theoretically start a fire, but all the pump videos that I've seen have been started by people getting in or out of their vehicle while the gas has been pumping. They created a static spark that caused the fires.

Originally Posted By: chriscreags
Originally Posted By: abycat
my versa has one. Yours should to.

Well it's probably sitting on the bottom of my fuel tank now...although when I got home and stuck my finger in the fuel tube, I didn't feel any type of hinge or attachment point for a metal flap. What I did feel was just the inside of a smooth hose/tube.

The reason that I was concerned to begin with, is that I wasn't sure if that metal flap had any role in maintaining fuel tank pressure or any effect on the evap system. I guess if it does, I will being seeing a CEL soon.

Anyways, I want to thank all that responded in regards to my original question. It's much appreciated.

I wonder if yours didn't have one to begin with because it is a sedan. Just wondering that cause you said you couldn't feel any hinge or holes.

Well it's probably sitting on the bottom of my fuel tank now...although when I got home and stuck my finger in the fuel tube, I didn't feel any type of hinge or attachment point for a metal flap. What I did feel was just the inside of a smooth hose/tube.

The reason that I was concerned to begin with, is that I wasn't sure if that metal flap had any role in maintaining fuel tank pressure or any effect on the evap system. I guess if it does, I will being seeing a CEL soon.

Anyways, I want to thank all that responded in regards to my original question. It's much appreciated.

I wonder if yours didn't have one to begin with because it is a sedan. Just wondering that cause you said you couldn't feel any hinge or holes.

That's what I was thinking after feeling the inside of it too. I couldn't feel any attachment point whatsoever, so I'm thinking that I was imagining something that was never there to begin with. Just out of curiosity, does your Versa have the 1.6 or the 1.8? What kind of oil are running in it?

Once again, thanks to all for the input.

That's what I was thinking after feeling the inside of it too. I couldn't feel any attachment point whatsoever, so I'm thinking that I was imagining something that was never there to begin with. Just out of curiosity, does your Versa have the 1.6 or the 1.8? What kind of oil are running in it?

Once again, thanks to all for the input.

sorry buddy didn't see you posted again. I'm running pretty much any syn 5w30. I'm running pp right now. Big fan of penzoil products. I also have the 1.8. I'm guessing you have the 1.6.

sorry buddy didn't see you posted again. I'm running pretty much any syn 5w30. I'm running pp right now. Big fan of penzoil products. I also have the 1.8. I'm guessing you have the 1.6.

No worries. Sounds like you have a great setup. I'm the second owner of mine. Bought it at 79k miles. It has the 1.8. I've stuck with dino, usually either PYB or VWB.

Last edited:
I don't think syn or dino makes a downsdifference with these engines. I run the syn cause I only get it on sale so it's cheap. Great car though. Mine had been great. I am almost at 60000km. We need to do our plugs at 100000 but I might do mine at 90000 if we keep it that long. I also want to do a drain and fill on my tranny but I only will put in the nissan fluid. I think it's matic d. I want to in a couple years trade it up for a suv. The winter up here is hard on cars and we want a bit more room.

Get a bunch of drain plug washers for yours if you havnt. They are special crush ones that are supposed to be one time use. I get mine from nissan. smaller rolled edge facing plug head.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Using a phone at a pump is ILLEGAL and DANGEROUS activity, THE SIGNS PROHIBIT PHONE USE..

Is the flashlight on the phone receiving a cell tower signal?

I don't think syn or dino makes a downsdifference with these engines. I run the syn cause I only get it on sale so it's cheap. Great car though. Mine had been great. I am almost at 60000km. We need to do our plugs at 100000 but I might do mine at 90000 if we keep it that long. I also want to do a drain and fill on my tranny but I only will put in the nissan fluid. I think it's matic d. I want to in a couple years trade it up for a suv. The winter up here is hard on cars and we want a bit more room.

Get a bunch of drain plug washers for yours if you havnt. They are special crush ones that are supposed to be one time use. I get mine from nissan. smaller rolled edge facing plug head.

I agree, they are great little cars. Simple, no frills. I just replaced my plugs, intake manifold gasket, serpentine belt and coolant last month (102k miles). The plug change made a really noticeable difference in the acceleration when I get on the freeway. The only downside on changing plugs in the MR18DE engine, is that you're forced to remove the manifold in order to even get to the them...kind of makes it a pain but oh well.

I took it to the dealer when I first bought it to have the tranny fluid changed. You're right, it is matic d. I'm thinking about doing it myself the next time around and using Maxlife tranny fluid, since it's listed as being a compatible replacement for Nissan's matic d.

I don't have a need for the washers, because I also installed a Fumoto valve when I bought the vehicle, but I think I have seen those crush ones that you're talking about. They're copper, right?

I agree, they are great little cars. Simple, no frills. I just replaced my plugs, intake manifold gasket, serpentine belt and coolant last month (102k miles). The plug change made a really noticeable difference in the acceleration when I get on the freeway. The only downside on changing plugs in the MR18DE engine, is that you're forced to remove the manifold in order to even get to the them...kind of makes it a pain but oh well.

I took it to the dealer when I first bought it to have the tranny fluid changed. You're right, it is matic d. I'm thinking about doing it myself the next time around and using Maxlife tranny fluid, since it's listed as being a compatible replacement for Nissan's matic d.

I don't have a need for the washers, because I also installed a Fumoto valve when I bought the vehicle, but I think I have seen those crush ones that you're talking about. They're copper, right?

that's good you got your plugs done. I knew I have to take the manifold off but I'm kinda looking forward to it so I can check everything out back there. I think I'm going with nissan fluid only so I don't mix the fluids. Don't know if it will be better or not. Yeah those little washers are copper. That's cool you put a valve on the oil pan. Not like changing the oil in our cars is hard but that is probably handy. I can't put one on mine cause of the 11 plus feet of snow we get a year. What color is yours? mines black. ill have to put some pics up of it today.

that's good you got your plugs done. I knew I have to take the manifold off but I'm kinda looking forward to it so I can check everything out back there. I think I'm going with nissan fluid only so I don't mix the fluids. Don't know if it will be better or not. Yeah those little washers are copper. That's cool you put a valve on the oil pan. Not like changing the oil in our cars is hard but that is probably handy. I can't put one on mine cause of the 11 plus feet of snow we get a year. What color is yours? mines black. ill have to put some pics up of it today.

The Fumoto valve makes it even easier. I just wish the oil filter was mounted downwards instead of horizontally. Mine is silver. Cool, I'll try to throw some pics of mine on here at some point this weekend too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back