Korean food questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-spent some time in Phoenix area this winter and tried Korean food, can't get it in our local in the midwest, and enjoyed it. Any suggestions for blogs, websites, books(cookbooks and history), that could help us in learning about this cuisine and culture. Thanks in advance for any help
Regards-Bill

Hmart.com is a korean supermarket, they operate an online store that ships UPS. They may still be offering free shipping on your first order. No affiliation but I have always been happy with the selection of spices, sauces, condiments when in the store.

Thanks-We are 50 miles from Iowa City and go there relatively often and will look. Appreciate the store reference, and will look at that also.
Bill

Dig a hole. Toss in cabbage. Let it seep. Dig it up. Put kimchee on plate and eat.

Or were you not talking about kimchee?

Have a look through all the menus for your local Chinese restaurants, one may be run by Koreans who might have a small Korean selection as well.
I really enjoyed going to a good Korean restaurant in Toronto with some friends who lived in Korea for years. I don't remember specifically what we had, but it was good.

Hi-Thanks for the response and video. We're trying to learn about Korean food, and want to try different dishes and are looking for help in recipes, what foods people like, how to pair them, etc. We do like Vietnamese food also and have a new small Thai/Vietnamese restaurant close to us that we haunt regularly with good results.
Thanks again to all for help. Bill

I just got back from Seoul last week. There's a few things that appear in almost every meal. They are gochujang (a firm salty red pepper paste), sesame oil, and doenjang (a firm salty bean paste). All three are combined with a few other ingredients to make their dipping or wrapping (in leaves) sauce called ssamjang.

You can buy all of the above from the internet, and once in the fridge, it will all last an eternity.

Kimchi usually shows up as a part of banchan, or a set of side dishes, that must accompany a meal. It's added in main dishes too of course to bulk up and flavor the dish.

So once you acquire the ingredients above, you can easily make a full blown Korean meal at home such as samgyeopsal, grilled sliced pork belly.

Originally Posted By: wilnis
Hi-spent some time in Phoenix area this winter and tried Korean food, can't get it in our local in the midwest, and enjoyed it. Any suggestions for blogs, websites, books(cookbooks and history), that could help us in learning about this cuisine and culture. Thanks in advance for any help
Regards-Bill

Sign up for a free 14-day membership at Cook's Illustrated and search their recipe database. Also check out Fine Cooking's site. Lots of ideas & recipes there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back