4 cycle engine extended storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Honda HS720 snow blower that I want to put away for extended storage till nest winter..What is the BEST way to do this....

1. Drain the carb, put oil in the cylinders and remove spark plug

2. Fill gas tank with high octane gas, add stabilizer, run for few minutes, then start and run it every week for 10 min. adding fresh gas and stabilizer as needed??

3. Or any other suggestions

thanks

I might consider the trufuel for storage, since it sits that long. For my ope i use marine stabil, and 1 ounce of tcw 3 in 5 gallons fuel, but mine only sits for about 4 months tops.

For storage put in "Fresh" high octane gas with stabilizer and run a few minutes and run every month there-after. Get rid of gas you used for snowblower by pouring into your car. Removing spark plug and adding a bit of oil and pulling the cord a few times is a good idea.

Change the oil fill up the gas tank and that is all that is needed. Drain the carb before starting and you will be good to go.

4. Set piston to top dead center

You might want to consider applying loctite to the screws holding the auger and scraper in place. This helps to keep the threads from rusting and will make it easier to replace these wear items down the road.

If you can get E0 gas, then run it dry, add a cup of E0 mixed with blue Stabil, start it, let it run a couple of minutes and shut it down.

You can buy marine fogging oil to run through the manifold or squirt into the spark plug hole. Its more of an oil foam than liquid oil. It has a tacky component so it coats the cylinder area vs running into a puddle at the lowest point.

I change the oil every year, use Ethanol free gas, and run it every month or two for 10-15 minutes.
My HS928 is around 15 years old.

Run the gas out and put the engine on it compression stroke.It will be fine next winter.

With my Honda Snow blower before storage. Run it long enough to warm it up, spray fogging oil in carb. Drain all fluids. Fill up with fresh oil. Fogging oil sprayed in cylinder, dielectric grease on spark plug cap. Pull starter cord till resistance. Rag in exhaust pipe. Put cover over machine.

I wouldn't worry too much about long term storage. Run some TruFuel through it and let it run itself out. Then loosen the bowl nut and drain any remaining gas. Change the oil. Spray some WD-40 or a fogging oil into the carb and exhaust port. Remove spark plug and do the same. Make sure you keep the engine TDC and plug exhaust port and airbox with a rag. If paranoid, remove the gas tank and clean thoroughly with BrakeKleen. Be prepared to replace fuel lines before you bring it back to life since dry-rot is common.

Air cooled engines in general are remarkably resilient. You can skip most of these steps and still have a 2 pull start come winter time. Especially with a Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back