Change Oil after one year and very low mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You can't get the car up to temperature while parked

Everyone's already said this, but they're right so I'll chip in too. Starting without driving is more damaging than not starting at all.

Last september I bought a car which had it's oil changes more or less at the required intervals - 10.000km -, but whose previous owner did not adhere to the "or once a year, whichever comes first"-rule. So the car had run 11.000km on one oil change - in six years. The following two changes had been made on time.
The result: when doing the third change (the first since I bought it) we drained not oil, but sludge and tar. Engine was shot, camshaft had seized in it's bearings (surprisingly, it was still running, although a bit rough).
Workshop did change oil two times following the repair, because the new oil instantly turned black. When I got the car back, I drove 1000km, then changed the oil - it was pitch black, like you would expect from a diesel. Now I've driven another 1500km and the oil is diesel black again... That engine is *still* full of sludge.

Don't take chances. If the car does not reach the km or mile based interval, it probably is not really needed. Still, you have it, pay taxes, insurances, garage/parking space... So your toy seems to be worth a lot to you. What does a "useless" oil change cost in comparison to all these other non-necessary cost?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Got two years on mine with QSUD.

Wondering though if we should be worried about acid build up....

I think the real issue is how much contamination have you generated in the engine with short runs?

If you drive it a half hour or more every time you start it you shouldn't get much water accumulation, which is what turns to acid.

Originally Posted By: datech
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Got two years on mine with QSUD.

Wondering though if we should be worried about acid build up....

I think the real issue is how much contamination have you generated in the engine with short runs?

If you drive it a half hour or more every time you start it you shouldn't get much water accumulation, which is what turns to acid.

Get a mix of long drives and some short runs...

Thanks for all of the replies!

Checked with Mobil oil.

Their answer was that on a car out of warranty, they recommend oil changes at 10,000

miles or one year.

After one year the additives begin to brake down.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You can't get the car up to temperature while parked.

I disagree.

I have stored vehicles and every two months or so I crank them up. I let them idle for about 5 minutes then simulate a "drive" by increasing RPMs to 1800-2000 for 15 additional minutes. I run the A/C, squirt washer fluid and work the wipers, roll the power windows up & down, turn steering wheel right and left a few times. At idle I shift the trans a few times from P to R to D and back again.

Yes, after a 20 minute "drive", it is up to full temp.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd wait. When you do drive it get it up to temp, not idling and waiting for the temp gauge to swing into the normal range. Drive it for a nice 30 minute or more highway run before you park it and you'll be fine.

I agree 100%...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back