Flashing high beams at other drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mclasser
I've also seen some drivers overtake other cars, come back in front of them and turn on their hazards

Here we do this as a gesture of saying "thank you" when someone pulls into the shoulder to let you pass (on a two lane highway). As soon as we're in front of them and safely ahead,we flash our hazards to say thank you for letting us pass.

In the case of if I'm in the left hand lane hauling [censored],and someone comes up behind me wanting to drive faster,I pull over and let them pass,then get back behind them and use them as a decoy :^)

As someone who generally likes to drive the speed limit I enjoy watching the show from the right lane. The egotistic society and me first drivers, equally made up of inconsiderate left lane drivers and equally inconsiderate speeders. Each of these egotistical idiot groups are what is wrong with our society. The speeders cry and say they have a right to drive 80 in a 60 (no you don't) and the left lane drivers, well they are just in lala land.

Either way this world is full of stupid drivers and this is just one more example.

Anyways, for those who are complaining about the left lane drivers being me first, before casting stones I suggest to first look in the mirror. You may just find a moron driver looking right back at you. But just smile and flash your lights...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewg
First of all...this isn't about Germany. This isn't about the autobahn.
The U.S. is a far different place in many ways...especially traffic habits, history, and laws.

On one of the main highways I drive on daily....it would be impractical and unsafe to stay in the right lane. That lane constantly has merging traffic every mile or so.....horribly slow big-rigs....foreign drivers going ten under.....you name it. I drive in the right lane when I can. I always go the speed limits or slightly over. Now when I need to go into the left lane to avoid slow merging trucks (or whatever)....I find it HIGHLY rude and annoying when some fool flashes me to get out of his way because he wants to do 80 in a 60. That is HIS problem. He KNOWS that the right lane (where I commute) gets congested at every merge. It's precisely THAT type of person that needs to knock it off and grasp the situation. But they never do.

I think I can understand you point, however I also think that maybe you're not that good of a driver if you think the right lane can be unsafe. I deal with those types all the time, they don't anger me, it's just driving. I've driven in the right lane before when I'm in no hurry and just do a little over the speed limit and people pass me all the time on the left. I actually find it a little more challenging, you have to be aware of traffic that's about to merge and you have to be aware of who is in your left lane. It's why it's very easy to be a left lane hog, people don't have to pay as much attention. So you're either going to have to brake or move into the left lane quickly. I actually prefer driving in the right lane in rush hour traffic, people don't seem to realize it, but it's sometime actually faster because all the people want to merge into the left lane so they're leaving the right lane.

Oh and today saw a good left lane hogger. I was in the right lane and saw the state police pass me til he was behind a car. The police never seem to go into the right lane to pass anyone. Went on for a couple miles, saw the cop hit his brakes a few times. They just sit back there and wonder how long it will take for the guy to notice it's a cop, I see them do that all the time, traffic normally parts pretty quickly for them without them doing anything. I think it went on for over two miles, finally the cop got tired and just hit his lights. Didn't end up pulling the guy over though, the guy finally moved over and the cop moved on.

Well....it's odd to me that you would think I would be an unsafe driver because of my opinion of the right lane situation on my commute. I'd really love to have you ride along and see what I am talking about....but that, of course, isn't going to happen.

My driving record would not concur with your opinion either. And as far as any citations? I think I've had one minor one for going ten over about 8 years ago. That's about it in 30 plus years of driving.

I've also driven across the U.S. five times....west-east and north-south. In doing so I came to realize all the different habits and driving peculiarities of the different regions.

Anyway....the highway I posted about is a two lane highway with a third lane all the way to the left for two or more people in a vehicle. At night, this lane becomes the third "free" lane, open to anyone. The road is commonly called Highway 167. It's one of the major north-south route (excluding Interstate 5 further west) for people that live south of Seattle. The route is ALWAYS jammed up from about 5:30 am until 9:00am....and then from roughly 1:30 pm until 6:30pm.

It's a nightmare during those times. Entrance ramps all along the fifteen to twenty mile section are noted areas of caution. Why? Because of the terrible driving habits of those that don't know how to merge. They often pull right in front of you or don't even look at all and will side swipe you. Combine into that the semi truck that constantly merge...needing ample room with often double trailers. Throw in a bunch of foreign driver that drive they they are still in Bangkok....then some 20-something sport-bike crazies along with old men on parleys....and the right lane is about as safe to stay in as a mine field.

Am I a "left lane hugger"? No. But when a merge is coming up...I move to the left to allow for a safer drive. And I don't care in the least about the fool going way over the limit speeding up behind me and then tailgating me. I move back over to the right when it's safe and flowing back up to the speed limit.

That IS what the left lane is for. Not the jerk pushing...flashing folks to get out of his way.

I drive a similar route, I think Boston is also on the list of cities with bad traffic. I'm in the right lane all the time with all those people trying to merge. Some people know how to merge and change lanes, some aren't that good at it. I get cut off all the time, I don't even honk at those people because it happens all the time around here.

We were taught to give a double tap on the high beams to indicate intent to pass. They even design vehicles with this in mind (pull stalk back to flash, push forward for high beam)

I keep seeing posts that mention it is against the law to not keep right. As I've read it, not keeping to the right is not against the law. At least not in Michigan, and not on multilane highways.

In a perfect world....we would ALL obey traffic laws and have superb driving skills.

Reality is.....those things will NEVER...EVER...happen.

That's why nasty attitudes and pushy behaviors need to stop. People will always drive poorly or not as fast as we'd like.

We CAN control our responses to such things....if we CHOOSE to do so.

But also...THAT will never happen.

So here we are!

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I keep seeing posts that mention it is against the law to not keep right. As I've read it, not keeping to the right is not against the law. At least not in Michigan, and not on multilane highways.

It's not a federal law. These laws vary by state. Here is the corresponding law for Michigan, which is more lax than some other states:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(mveklmy...ASSING-ETC..pdf

Here is Jalopnik's attempt at summarizing it for the whole US:
http://jalopnik.com/5501615/left-lane-passing-laws-a-state-by-state-map

Originally Posted By: Kestas

In California there are black on white signs:

"Slower Traffic Keeps Right" on interstate highways or on state highway with 2 or more lanes each way.

"Slower Traffic Uses Turnout" on state and county highways with 1 lane each way.

Black on White signs are laws same as Speed Limit signs, not like Black on Yellow or Black on Orange.

GA passed a law where you're prohibited from impeding the flow of traffic.

My commute (I75 south to I85 north) routinely has a car in the left lane going barely faster than the lane next to him/her. Typically the left lane in front of this driver will be free of traffic for up to 1/4 mile while we're all packed in behind him.

Usually this driver is staying in this lane because 5 miles down the road he/she must use this lane to take an interchange.

I've only flashed a couple of times because I don't want to avoid being the "@sshat in the BMW"

None of this matters because left lane squatters are like death and taxes.

We're all thinking with our logical brains. Throw that out the window and pretend you're mostly oblivious to what goes on around you.

Now, there. Isn't that a much less stressful way of life?

You're all assuming that those we complain about give two sharts about anything other than their immediate needs.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: eljefino
And seriously, changing lanes takes very little physical effort, turning a power assisted wheel, pressing a spring loaded pedal, and rotating one's head for an all-clear.

And don't forget about using your indicators.

I think those are illegal in New England, or maybe all of the Northeast.

I've seen too many idiots merge to want to stay in the right lane. Middle lane, if available, is often less stress. But in moderate traffic, going whatever speed it takes to stay left has yielded the least stress. It is odd. But it can make for some good time on a trip.

Am always glad to get on the rural roads when I can stay right, no merging traffic,no company. A bit slower but more relaxing.

The last person I high beamed wound up behind me and decided to leave hers on, as a "lesson" I guess. I had not liked her weaving around and cutting in front of me, sans indicator, so I had high beamed her to indicate dissatisfaction with her driving habits. She did some lane changes, picked the wrong lanes, wound up behind me--I had been following at a reasonable distance behind a line of cars in the left lane, as it was moderate traffic, left lane was the fastest, and I was passing the other lanes.

I am starting to give up the habit. No one knows what it means,and what with road rage these days, I have better things to deal with.

Oh, I did flash some traffic the other day, to let them know of an obstruction around the corner (police cruiser with some stopped, someone in a snowbank, something like that). Might start limiting myself to only that now, and only around home.

The worst part is that because it's so bad in Atlanta drivers assume you won't move over and decide to pass on right before you have a chance to get out of the way.

The other day, I changed lanes to the left - heavy traffic so no passing issues here - during a heavy merge with traffic going about 20. As I started changing lanes, the driver behind me decided this was a good time to violate the laws of physics and speed up to try to stop me from moving over (when I was already halfway over). Funny, right?

Then, I guess as a "lesson" I had to have his/her high beams in my back window for the remainder of the time I was in front of said vehicle.

What is WRONG with people?

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And don't forget about using your indicators.

I think those are illegal in New England, or maybe all of the Northeast.

LOL! Yeah, I've said it many times before - cars in the US should stop being equipped with turn signals as no one uses them anyway.

We don't have indicators or turn signals they are called blinkers (or in Boston area blinka's)

I think if you use them folks behind a bit in the left lane with a car ahead too they simply speed up as you try and merge over. Really. I do use mine blinker and simply move my vehicle(MDX) to the left if it will fit in heavier traffic.

In the US what I notice some folks think they actually own the lane and they are always right and need to police the road or tell other drivers what they did wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back