Help me pick brake pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little long...

Application: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L, 123,000 miles and with rear drums.

Objective: Will likely own this vehicle for another 80,000 miles. Want this to be the last brake job I do on this vehicle. Want low brake dust, satisfactory stopping power for a family hauler, and long pad/rotor life.

A little background: The previous owners had Raybestos ceramic pads installed not too long ago. Not sure exactly which ones, but I believe they are likely the Service Grade Ceramic pads which are semi-metallic. From the beginning the driver side was noisy. Recently I removed the pads for inspection and found, on the driver side only, there was inconsistent metallic material in one section of the pad. The relating section of the brake rotor had a deep groove worn into it as well. I believe this is the source of my brake noise and the reason why I'm planning another brake job. The brake noise is getting worse.

Three options I'm considering:

- Wagner ThermoQuiet CeramicNXT - Amazon, $28.55 shipped, minus $15 MIR; Total $13.55

- Bendix CQ Ceramic - Amazon, $38.99 shipped.

- Akebono Performance Ultra-Premium Ceramic Disc Brake Pads - Amazon, $69.35 shipped.

I currently have the Bendix CQ on my Honda with good results. No experience with Akebono.

Also, looks as though I'll be replacing my driver side rotor due to the deep worn groove. Might end up replacing both rotors for continuity.

Any other suggestions/advice?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: GemStater

- Wagner ThermoQuiet CeramicNXT - Amazon, $28.55 shipped, minus $15 MIR; Total $13.55

Hard to argue with this. I got "some ceramic", possibly these, off Amazon for wife's HHR and they're good enough.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Original is Metallic,Ceramics may not stop as hard/firm.

do not agree with that, I have raced my rx7s with ceramic pads, they worked fine, I am still here. So did my team leader with his subi.

I like anything ceramic. The Akebono ProACT ceramic that I used didn't last as long as some other lesser name ceramic pads but, were very, very smooth/quiet and lowest dusting!

i have also heard metallic has more "bite" to it
also i know you never mentioned buying local but i would avoid wearever from aap they wear out faster than any i have ever owned
that was my experience

you are smart for ordering online, best price and selection and in some cases no sales tax

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I would go Akebono or OEM. Akebono pads are supposed to be really good.

I found the Mopar OEM pads at MoparOnlineParts-dot-com for $90.48 plus shipping.

Not sure if I can justify that cost over an aftermarket ceramic?

Trying to figure out what aftermarket pad will be just as good if not better than the OEM?

I've always been happy with the Thermoquiet Brake pads, though in Semi-metallic flavor. They are my go to brand. I tend to stick with the material the OEM put on the vehicle new - semi-metallic or ceramic.

If replacing rotors, replace both on that axle.

As far as shopping online, yes, it can be cheaper, but a pain if something goes wrong (or you need it now!). I have had a bad pad out of the box in the past (another brand), and it was nice to just run back to the store and swap it out.

I have Akebono ProAct ceramics on the GP right now and I have no complaints. Good bite and much less dusting than what was on the car when I bought it (may have been semi-metallics).

But with those prices, I would go with the Wagner TQ. Have heard only good things about them.

And on the rotors, replace both and go with a quality set. I chose Centric Premiums for the GP and they are doing great. The basic Centrics are pretty much the same as the Premiums with the only exception being that the Premiums have a really good anti-corrosion coating on the non-fiction surfaces.

Originally Posted By: GemStater
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I would go Akebono or OEM. Akebono pads are supposed to be really good.

I found the Mopar OEM pads at MoparOnlineParts-dot-com for $90.48 plus shipping.

Not sure if I can justify that cost over an aftermarket ceramic?

Trying to figure out what aftermarket pad will be just as good if not better than the OEM?

Going back with Mopar would be worse than doing nothing. The OE Mopar brake parts for these vans were junk.

I just put a pair of the Wagner TQ pads on the front of my Silverado, for $18 after rebate. No problems.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Going back with Mopar would be worse than doing nothing. The OE Mopar brake parts for these vans were junk.

I just put a pair of the Wagner TQ pads on the front of my Silverado, for $18 after rebate. No problems.

Good to know. Do you have experience with OEM Mopar pads? Were they semi-metallic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back