How to repair hole in metal container roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has rust issues. There is about a quarter sized hole in it. I cleaned all the rust and dirt off of it and put some HVAC tape on it as a temporary repair to keep water out, but I am looking for suggestions for a permanent repair. Obviously the preferred method would involve welding. While I do have a welder that would probably work, I don't think I wend good enough for a rain-proof seal, and I don't see myself lugging the welder up to the roof on a ladder. It doesn't have to look pretty, and I probably need to go over a portions of the roof with something like POR-15, after wire wheeling it and priming, then paint the whole thing.

Any suggestions on sealing the hole? I'm thinking bolt on a piece of metal and use caulk to keep the water out.

Roofing tar would be better than caulk.

JB Weld should work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Any suggestions on sealing the hole? I'm thinking bolt on a piece of metal and use caulk to keep the water out.

Yup, I'd slather the edges of your patch of metal with caulk and then run self tapping screws through both layers. Cut wide, as your rust hole might go further than you'd think.

Not too sure on JB Weld and how it reacts to paint, but it should work. POR15 (*POR PATCH) has to be painted for protection from UV rays so that will for sure work.

Maybe find a 2"x2" metal peice as patch too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back