Any house roof experts out there

hrv

A little background. I had my roof replaced about a month ago.. The old roof was on for 22 years and was a three tab with the felt/paper liner underneath it. I was replaced with the newer thicker felt padding that does not tear alond with ice and water dam installed.. The shingles are the Certainteed Landmark dimensional shingles. My house is a single story 1200 square feet on a slab... The roof pitch is a 6/12 pitch...so you can walk on it with no trouble. Since being installed I notice more low pitch.kind of very low bass..noise inside the house. I can hear id slightly outside as I live about 2 miles from Interstate 71 and some railroad tracks. It is distant road noise that I am hearing...My question is with the thicker underliner and the ice dam sheeting along with the new heavier shingles could that act as a sound insulater causing some more noise being filterered down into the house through the walls...It is just a low pitch sound that I never noticed before the new roof....Sorry for the length but I wanted to explain it fully.. Any comments??? Thanks

Does the noise change ? Night , day , weather ?
Slightly...less road noise at night as traffic is not as bad... also if clear or overcast...the clouds will tend to dampen it a bit I guess acting as a blanket..

Slightly...less road noise at night as traffic is not as bad... also if clear or overcast...the clouds will tend to dampen it a bit I guess acting as a blanket..
So you're sure it's road noise ?

Seems like the new roof is tighter, almost like a drum, and is unfortunately harmonically amplifying the road nose. The fix, if there is one is the question.
I agree but what would the fix be???

Is it possible that your roofing contractor changed your roof vents or added more vents?
they did replace the vents with same type and did not install anymore than vents then were on the roof... a total of six...

Expert - no at 57 Ive bought 2 roofs.

Is it possible - sure.

Can you mitigate it if you have an uninsulated attic - probably.

Expert - no at 57 Ive bought 2 roofs.

Is it possible - sure.

Can you mitigate it if you have an uninsulated attic - probably.
the attic is insulated with the blownin pink stuff that was installed when the house was built in 2000..

is your attic trussed,or open,,adding stiffing trusses will make your roof more less prone to flex,,are the walls insulated?,,was the roof redecked securely? ,

No on redecking all the osb boards were great...it is trussed...wals have the pink stuff when it was built in 2000..

Back