Mixing GTX and Delo for '84 Land Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I have a full 5 qt. jug of Castrol GTX 5w-30 and a nearly-full jug of Delo 400 15w-40. For the sake of not wasting money/oil, I am considering mixing these for my '84 Land Cruiser. I'd use all of the Delo and then most of the GTX (I think it takes about 8 qts). I've already read on here that mixing is okay, but would this work out to be a decent choice for my rig? I know I'm probably over-thinking this, but it's always nice to hear from the experts! Here's some more info about what the conditions are.

1). Car has 280,000 miles, but I believe the engine is somewhere around 100,000.
2). Drive it three times a week or so around town (Santa Fe). These are mostly short trips, less than fifteen minutes.
3). Try to go on an adventure every other weekend, which amounts to a two-hour (one-way) trip at 55 mph.
4). Weather in Santa Fe right now is between 40 and 65F, this is mostly what conditions will be like for the next six months or so of my driving.
5). Planning on doing a Santa Fe to Seattle road trip in May, in which I'd likely be driving six hours a day on the highway.
6). Manual calls for API SF or SF/CC oil.
7). I drive slower than my grandmother.
8). Haven't had the car long, but doesn't seem like there's any oil consumption.

Thanks for the help!
A.J.

Probably be okay for a short OCI.

I don't like to mix.

The cost of a few extra quarts of Castrol or Delo isn't a big deal to keep it all the same.

Just mix then. You never hear of a oil related engine failure. My car takes 4.5 quarts so I always put 0.5 quarts into a 5 quart jug. When it's full it goes into which ever vehicle needs a change first.

Never hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Just mix then. You never hear of a oil related engine failure. My car takes 4.5 quarts so I always put 0.5 quarts into a 5 quart jug. When it's full it goes into which ever vehicle needs a change first.

Never hurt anything.

This method isn't very good. I would use 0.5 quarts in the second oil change. You have 1 quart left with 5-qt jug with that oil change use it for the third oil change. You then have 1.5 quarts left after third oil change use it on the fourth ... That way you only have fairly new oil for all oil changes, not some very old oils.

I guess that would make more sense, and its a good idea but between me and the wife we have 3 vehicles. It seems like every month one of the vehicles need a oil change so it really doesn't sit long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back