Windshield treatment product lineup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Rain-X doesn't last long enough for what I'm looking for.

I like Rejex for that. It's significantly more difficult to apply on glass than on paint (and on glass than Rain-X is), but it is worth the effort, especially when the bugs are out.

I have found Rain X to be effective for several years. If not applied correctly it can make your vision worse when it rains. Gradually the wiper blades seem to wear it down. I am sure it depends on climate, where you park it, etc. A botched Rain X job is hard to remove, too.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I put Meguiars Ultimate paste wax on my windshield ever 4-5 months. As long as you spend the time to remove it it works fine.

If my property wasn't covered in trees I probably wouldn't but it seems like its easier to remove the tree sap with it on then without it.

I use the spray wax and or detailer on my windshield by Meguiars, usually 2-3 times a month, works great.
11.gif

By the by, in a pinch you can slice an apple in half and rub it all over the windshield to achieve a rain-repellent effect. A sour apple can also be used to clean a really dirty windshield. I presume it's the malic acid in the apple that is an effective cleaner.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: Quest
I don't use rain-x or similar polymer (or silicone) based products on my front windshield, period.

The smearing effect is quite distracting esp. during nitetime driving while in the rain.

Q.

I think you only can speak for your car.

Something is wrong with your windshield, your wipers or your application technique.

Have you been in other cars with rainx? No smearing.

Last edited:
Run your fingers over the WS - is it smooth...............really smooth? Usually has a gritty feel.

Clay your glass just like you do your paint (don't you?). I use Mothers detailer (Showtime) as the lube. Very easy to do.

Then it is quite easy to maintain. Use only microfiber cloths.

I used to use Rain X. It was quite evident it would smear and become gummy after a few weeks - especially under a hot sun.

Then tried Aquapel - it was better, but hard to find and expensive, did not last as it was claimed.

Nothing beats claying. Do it on all glass, headlights, tails, bumpers, etc.

Last edited:
Optimum Opti-Glass Coating is probably what you are looking for when it comes to longevity and cannot be beat when applied properly, but it is oh so expensive. Use a machine with a glass polish and glass pad to get the glass crystal clear, or at a minimum clay, wipe with bon ami (the safe for glass version) and wipe down the window with alcohol. I have always been impressed with aquapel and it is pretty cheap.

Originally Posted By: datech
I have found Rain X to be effective for several years. If not applied correctly it can make your vision worse when it rains. Gradually the wiper blades seem to wear it down. I am sure it depends on climate, where you park it, etc. A botched Rain X job is hard to remove, too.

I like Rain-X, too, but I've never had great durability, but we get all kinds of odd conditions. I usually reapply every month or two.

RainX has two products.

I hate the wax, as it smears.

The original is great and I smuggle it in regularly to use on my windshields.

I ordered the Sci-Fi magic after doing some research on Coval Molecular Coatings. They seem like a top notch company from what I can find. I'll come back with reviews.

I used to use Rain-X on all the windows. I often got the gummy edge where the wipers stop. I think it's more of a combination of whatever silicone AND all the [censored] from the roads. I switched over to Aquapel and bought a box from Amazon that lowers the cost.

My experience is that the Rain-X works at a lower speed (30mph) vs. like 40 mph for the Aquapel. I still use Rain-X all the time but only on the rear/sides and mirrors. Aquapel up front. I always use a microfiber and have no smearing issues with the Rain-X, it does last and helps a lot in winter with snow ice also.

I want to try maybe the optimum ceramic/quartz one next time. Also read on here some people using the Ceramibrite stuff for glass cook surfaces to clean. IT's almost time for a new windshield anyway as the rocks/sand are showing there effect. Not much can be done with that.

I read WAY back (and have some) that the guy who invented Rain-x moved on and went to a company called Glass Science and his next generation version is called Rain Clear Gel (and a Glass scrub product). They work well also. I don't seem them as often maybe not the same marketing budget and brand recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back