Smoother engine from going up one grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you're in trouble when Merkava quotes you.
In my experience, our 2.2 and 2.3 Hondas were smoother and quieter on 10W-40 than they were on the recommended 5W-30.
I started a topic here years ago entitled something like "PYB 10W-40:Feel the quiet".
I was running some leftover PYB 10W-40 in our '97 Accord 2.2 coupe just to get rid of it and I was amazed that it was so much smoother and quieter than it was with PP 5W-30. Fuel economy didn't suffer either. I actually got a near-record 34+ mpg on one of the tanks running 10W-40.
Same was true of our old Aerostar, which also delivered a near-record tank at 24+ mpg on Rotella 5W-40.
My old BMW was almost quiet on M1 15W-50 as compared to any forty, from 15W-40 dual rated oils through 10W-40 Maxlife and Defy.
The Subarus are certainly smoother and quieter on thicker grades, while the Focus might be a little quieter on 10W-30 than it is on 5W-20.
I can't really comment on older cars we've owned, since back in the day I considered 10W-40 to be the all-purpose, all weather grade for everything.
All of our earlier Hondas, along with everything else, got 10W-40.
No problems using it that I ever saw, including winter starts at well below 0F with cars that had spent their night outdoors.

I can't tell between the 5w30, 10w30, and 10w40 I've used in my grandpas Jeep or my Chevy truck I had.

I especially can't tell between the 5w30 or 5w40 in my diesel lol, it just shakes all around and makes a racket regardless.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
OK Trav, which engines were smoother after going up one grade?

Subaru H4 2.2. EJ, Infiniti M35 VQ35DE, Honda ivtec 3.5 V6, VW 2.0 AEG, Toyota GTI 1.6, Surpa turbo and a lot of others. Many old Euro engines ran much better on thick stuff.

Most engine don't seem much difference but the Ford 5.4 2V ran better on 0w20 as did a couple of mid 2000's Toyota spec for 5w30 but i probably wouldn't use them in a warm climate or for hard use.
The MB OM615 and OM616 ran much smoother on 0W30 HTHS 3.5+ than spec 15w40. wear was not an issue even when run hard. I tried this long before joining Bitog because i though the oil spec was as ancient as the car and a modern synthetic would hold up better.

I hate giving oil recommendations on engines i haven't tried it in. Some engines just don't like thin or thick oil so you go by the book unless there is good reason not to.
In the case of the Infinities it is oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
My engines ALL run smooth and quiet on the oil weight my manufacturer recommends. Weird I know.

If you never try anything else, you'll never experience the difference it can make.
An engine will seem smooth until you try a grade that makes it seem smoother.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
How long does a 5w50 stay a 50 grade in use.... ? Pretty wide spread...

I wonder the same thing. But from my observations,it's VERY thin for a 50 weight. Nothing like a 20W50,and that's while it's cold (from being stored indoors). Honestly feels like a 10W40,sort've like a 0W40 seems like a 10W30. I'm guessing 0W40s and 5W50s are the very thinnest oils for the grades while still being able to be labeled as 40 and 50 weight oils.

Both oils start out on a 60 degree day and thin out to 10% of that viscosity when they get to 200F. So why would you notice a difference of a few cSts??
Answer: "No difference"

Using T6 5w40 in a 30 grade application might yield more smoothness but not from viscosity, it would more likely be the additive package.

And don't worry Merkava_4, all I see is big blank spaces next to your posts from now on.

I just went from a winter fill of Subaru 0W20 to 4 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30 and 1 quart of TGMO in my 2001 Accord 4 cyl. It has 272K miles and seems smoother on the summer fill.

My Nautique ski boat with a 351W turned a fill of 10W30 Mobil MC 5000 to water. It was noticeably smoother on the next fill of Delvac 15W40.

My 2000 Concorde 2.7 started tripping the oil pressure light at idle on 5W30 Castrol Edge and Scheaffer 10W30 7000. I've run 0W40 and 5W40 synth and GC for the last 45K miles without ever tripping the light. Not sure it is any smoother but it is amazingly smooth on the current fill of Pentosin 5W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back