Any 7M owners out there?

I own two MK3 Supras, 1988 & 1989. They both have the 7MGE n/a engine.

Been using M1 EP 10w30 in both. One is a new engine rebuilt in January. I've ran the M1 since the first 500 mile change.

Both use some oil between changes, enough to top off occasionally. Considering going up to a 40 grade.

Anyone else out there have a 7M, and what do you use?

I don't own one but would use Mobil1 0W40 with confidence.
Thanks, but do you have any reasons why? You said you don't own one, did you own a similar engine or not at all?

The 7m is a particular engine. It is an over 30-40 year old design...

Thanks, but do you have any reasons why? You said you don't own one, did you own a similar engine or not at all?

The 7m is a particular engine. It is an over 30-40 year old design...
These engines ran an old sg or sh rated 10w-30 conventional. Using a better oil with a euro or diesel additive pack is the way to go. The engine isn't particular you can run 20w-50 if you want though not necessary.

What is your OCI? What are your driving conditions? Are they stock or modded? :unsure:

Nothing wrong with M1 EP, but you might like a Euro oil like the very popular M1 0w40, or perhaps PP Euro L if you want to stick to a 30 you can buy at Walmart. There's also Rotella T6 5w30 from the parts stores (Walmart sells T6, but not the 5w30 version)

Another option is HM oil.

Reactions: wlk
What is your OCI? What are your driving conditions? Are they stock or modded? :unsure:

Nothing wrong with M1 EP, but you might like a Euro oil like the very popular M1 0w40, or perhaps PP Euro L if you want to stick to a 30 you can buy at Walmart. There's also Rotella T6 5w30 from the parts stores (Walmart sells T6, but not the 5w30 version)

Another option is HM oil.
I change every 3000. The new engine got changed at 500mi on the break in oil, now at 1500 and going to change again soon. Only have changed it myself once so far. Engines are both stock, I drive them both hard and normally street only.

I haven't heard of anyone using the M1 0w40 FS in these old Yota engines. Kind of hesitant, wouldn't that low 0 number make it prone to being volatile and burning off faster? I noticed I burn less on 10w30 compared to 5w30.

I've considered the 0w40 before. To curb the oil burning I was going to maybe try HM 10w40 next, only in the engine that's already worn out.

These engines have low oil pressure at idle, and toyota designed them that way. I used 5W30 and 5W40 on my 1g gte. Mostly 5W40.
This is a main thing I think about. Sometimes seeing that gauge drop so low at traffic lights worries me. Would be open to something nicely thicker at operating temp. The rebuilt engine reads about 7-8psi at idle, the older one reads a little less, measured at the block...

Any particular reasons you would switch back and forth? Would it depend on how you planned on driving, or outside temps?

This is a main thing I think about. Sometimes seeing that gauge drop so low at traffic lights worries me. Would be open to something nicely thicker at operating temp. The rebuilt engine reads about 7-8psi at idle, the older one reads a little less, measured at the block...

Any particular reasons you would switch back and forth? Would it depend on how you planned on driving, or outside temps?
No , I only used 5W30 once or twice. I dont see aany reason to go back 5W30 at this time, so I use 5W40 nowadays. It helps that 5W40 is also always on sale over here. I recommend you stick to euro spec ACEA A3/B4 as they have higher HTHS than API SN alone. That should keep oil pressure a little up too. 10W40 is also something to consider.

I've owned my '88 GE for 31 years now and have been through many different oils. I used to run some quite thick, but no more.

The 7MGTE is known for low oil pressure, especially at idle, but the GE has none of that equipment to cause that. The GE has tighter bearing clearances than the GTE, no oil squirters, and no pressure-driven oil cooler.

I recommend good ol' Penz Ultra Platinum 5W30. I've been running it for years. If you want slightly thicker, the Penz Euro L 5W30 is a little thicker. Or, mix the "regular" Platinum and Euro L for in between.

With PUP 5W30 I get plenty of oil pressure. Hot is 20psi at idle, which is plenty. It runs 15-20psi/1krpm driving around, which is also plenty, topping out around 80psi.

@railfan844 Do you know what your bearing clearances are? It sounds like they are large for a GE. Do you have only the stock oil pressure gauge or another one?

I do recommend a larger filter, since there's oodles of room for one. The Wix 51515 fits perfectly, is cheap, and performs well. I've run the larger filter since I did my first oil change back in 1992.

Back