Pedestrian rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out here on the left coast, the pedestrian is king. I've gotten used to it. OTOH, we have our share of people walking at night, wearing a black hoodie, black sweat pants, and black shoes. When they're out in the black street, they can give you quite a scare. They're invisible until you're right on top of them.

I believe in right of way to pedestrians..but we have...umm yeah cant use that word here but those who pop out and cross right in the middle of the street and not looking or anything. The ones who are dangerous and i need to slam on my brakes at the last second cuz i didnt see them. As a pedestrian i try to cross quickly and safely which others should also do. Some days I wish i could get away with hitting those types. Pedestrians should also bear some responsibility for their choices and decisions and not make everything someone elses problem..its a two way street.

Downtown in the Financial district in Boston, I was heading for home on foot down Congress St. A bike messenger took a lady right off her feet on the side walk. Being a pedestrian in Boston is a risky situation. OTOH, when you're in the mob/ herd, you can really mess up the traffic flow. With the renewal of passenger rail to the 'burbs, there is always some mother's child/dumb kid, wearing ear buds walking down the tracks. When I'm on an urban street, The radio is off and my foot is mostly hovering over the brake pedal. the huge A pillars make cross walkers hard to spot. Driving is my livelihood. Injuring somebody would weigh on me too. Pedestrians have the right of way even if they step into you. Cambridge is even worse.

I get out of the dweebs who will look right at a car with the backup lights on and walk right in back of it. No sense of sellf peservation...the "Nanny State" will protect them. And a printed copy of the law saying they have the riight of way will stop the broken hip from hurting.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Maybe in Canada the car has the right of way over a pedestrian?.,,,

Not sure where you are from but my car is not afraid of killing people
whistle.gif

Which was my point, many people are killed everyday b/c of ignorance and if you read the link I posted cops had to start a campaign because of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewie

Not sure where you are from but my car is not afraid of killing people
whistle.gif

That's one of the most ignorant comments I've ever seen. It's the type of mindset that shouldn't be allowed to have a drivers license.

An older gentleman on my way to work was hit and killed because he was crossing a very busy 2 lane highway with a 55 mph speed limit. He was reading the newspaper and it was still quite low light in the morning. Not sure what he was thinking with so many cars travelling through there.

Interesting thread. It doesn't seem like people have a problem with pedestrian right-of-way, just stupid people. I do too but stupid people still have the right-of-way.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
They do have the right of way. The point will be driven home the first time you hit one. Shake your head, laugh it off, let them cross, and be safely on your way.

They have the right of way only to a certain degree. They still must look to make sure it is safe to cross even when using a crosswalk. They can't just walk/jump out in front of someone without allowing the driver a safe distance to stop for them EVEN IN A CROSSWALK. As long as the driver is not speeding and the pedestrian got in front of them without allowing them a reasonable and safe distance to stop the driver is not at fault even if a crosswalk is involved. It will usually take witnesses to back up the driver's story but it is not always the pedestrian who is right and they aren't always declared not at fault.

With that said the pedestrian is "usually" not declared at fault. Just want to point out it is not always. I think the law sides way too far on the pedestrian's side. They should bear just as much responsibility as the driver for any accident. If they walk in front of a vehicle without giving that person time to stop I don't care if they are in a crosswalk or not. They are at fault not the driver. It is compounded when they are yakking on a cell phone or otherwise distracted. I wish the Police would get on people when they see them cross against a sign( traffic type light for pedestrians ), jay walk, and especially when they see them basically jump in front of a moving vehicle causing it to nose dive to stop in time. I know I would do something about those situations if I was an LEO. I have been known to actually file a complaint or two with the local PD when I have seen an Officer observe jay walking or other dangerous pedestrian behavior and not do anything about it. I know it did no good but it made me feel better at least.

We have a HUGE issue with this in my home town. Constant war between kids at a prestigious prep school and people driving. These kids are the biggest PITA I have ever come across. They are constantly running out in front of vehicles to cross the road and almost cause, or actually cause, accidents. This is an old historic town too with kind of narrow roads( when cars are parked on the roads it really makes it tough to just drive never mind watch for kids coming from nowhere too )and lots of buildings and bushes/hedges/trees/etc... so it makes it hard to see long distances in some areas so they just pop out in front of you. The worst is when classes are changing. Kids string out forever who totally ignore the road they are walking into while yakking with friends, talking on their phones, playing Frisbee or catch, etc...

We seem to have a couple accidents a year here with some of these entitled, oblivious, a-holes getting hit around that school. It is a horror show. I do my best to avoid it but to cross from the East side of town to the West you have little option( 3 roads pass through town and all 3 run through the school area )unless going way out around on the bi-pass.

The law definitely does favor the pedestrian but to an extreme degree that is not fair and I don't like it. Just as there are crazy, irresponsible, oblivious drivers the same can be said about pedestrians. I think they should shoulder more responsibility for their actions legally. Common sense says it is easier for a person walking to stop than a multi ton vehicle going 25 MPH+.

Sorry rant off.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder if some people see litigation as a legitimate means of income.

I knew a woman a few years ago that had a fairly decent stipend from being hit by a city bus. By her own admission, she had just walked in front of it. She wasn't wealthy by any means but she did not have to work.

Then there's the Dallas accident and injury attorney who tried to sue the fire department. He was not a pedestrian. He was driving his Bentley. He approached an intersection that a fire truck with full lights, siren, air horn blaring was also approaching. Of course in his mind, fire engines responding to emergencies MUST yield the right of way to Bentleys. Destroyed both vehicles. He has tried unsuccessfully to sue several times. The state threw the case out.

Pedestrian don't automatically have the right of way, but vehicle drivers are required to yield the right of way to pedestrians. It may just sound like semantics to most, but the subtle difference is that there is still some personal responsibility on the shoulders of the pedestrian. They are not just free to enter the traffic lanes at will and expect to be protected 100% of the time. They are required to exercise due diligence in determining if traffic is actually yielding to them.

Just because the signal just turned to walk, it doesn't mean that a person need not look for any traffic that happens to not be following the laws. That's just uncommon sense.

I generally always make sure a pedestrian has a chance to cross a road....right of way or not. Some people use crosswalks while others just stupidly cross anywhere they wish....and sometimes completely misjudge the cars that are approaching.
I just do my best to give them right of way.

I recall one time last year, my girlfriend and I were crossing a small, singed, lighted, and painted crosswalk. It was along the sidewalk that fronted a parking garage. As we approached the crosswalk, the "walk" sign was lighted...and an SUV was waiting at the walk. I tried to get eye contact with the fellow behind the wheel but a reflection prevented it. He was stopped...and his light was red....so we proceed to cross (following all proper signs and indications that it was safe).
As soon as we got almost halfway across, the guy in the SUV starts to go!! I was COMPLETELY panicked as I had hold of my girlfriends hand. I feared she was going to get killed by this idiot...let alone myself. So instinctively....I let go of her hand and flung myself up onto the hood of the SUV (or he would have ran over the top of us). I yelled loudly and slammed my open hands down hard on the hood in order to make him notice we were in front of him. Fortunately....it worked. He slammed his brakes on...I slid off but stayed on my feet. The guy, with his wife next to him, looked more freaked out than we were. He apologized profusely as his wife was as pale as a ghost.
Close call!

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
It makes me wonder if some people see litigation as a legitimate means of income.

I knew a woman a few years ago that had a fairly decent stipend from being hit by a city bus. By her own admission, she had just walked in front of it. She wasn't wealthy by any means but she did not have to work.

Then there's the Dallas accident and injury attorney who tried to sue the fire department. He was not a pedestrian. He was driving his Bentley. He approached an intersection that a fire truck with full lights, siren, air horn blaring was also approaching. Of course in his mind, fire engines responding to emergencies MUST yield the right of way to Bentleys. Destroyed both vehicles. He has tried unsuccessfully to sue several times. The state threw the case out.

I've come to the conclusion that many low-life individuals do this...they look for and try to get people to bump them while crossing the street. I am convinced they do this looking for a pay-day.

I have it happen to me about once a week or so. It's been exclusively a particular ethnicity that does this. At least in my experience it has been. They will start walking across a four lane road...no crosswalk....no pedestrian access....while seeing me approaching from about 50 yards away. By the time I get to the point where they are crossing illegally...they KEEP GOING....right in front of me so I have to stop or slow down to about 4mph!! No wave of thank you...no look of "oops..sorry"...nothing. I have raised my hands in the car and given them a look like "what is your problem...are you nuts"....and they just look back like..."I dare you to hit me".This happens to me at least three times a month in various locations. Same ethnicity...same basic scenario. These people often do the same thing in parking lots....just walk right down the middle of the parking lot....no need to walk to the side like a normal human being.

Oh well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Pedestrian don't automatically have the right of way, but vehicle drivers are required to yield the right of way to pedestrians. It may just sound like semantics to most, but the subtle difference is that there is still some personal responsibility on the shoulders of the pedestrian. They are not just free to enter the traffic lanes at will and expect to be protected 100% of the time. They are required to exercise due diligence in determining if traffic is actually yielding to them.

Just because the signal just turned to walk, it doesn't mean that a person need not look for any traffic that happens to not be following the laws. That's just uncommon sense.

Pedestrians have right of way when they have walk signal.

Even I have right of way when I have walk signal I still look on my left to make sure that all vehicles stopped before I start walking, when I approach middle of the road I look at my right to be sure that the left turn vehicles will not make a turn within 5-10 ft.

I'm willing to give up my right to avoid being run over by 3-4k pounds vehicles.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

I've come to the conclusion that many low-life individuals do this...they look for and try to get people to bump them while crossing the street. I am convinced they do this looking for a pay-day.

I have it happen to me about once a week or so. It's been exclusively a particular ethnicity that does this. At least in my experience it has been. They will start walking across a four lane road...no crosswalk....no pedestrian access....while seeing me approaching from about 50 yards away. By the time I get to the point where they are crossing illegally...they KEEP GOING....right in front of me so I have to stop or slow down to about 4mph!! No wave of thank you...no look of "oops..sorry"...nothing. I have raised my hands in the car and given them a look like "what is your problem...are you nuts"....and they just look back like..."I dare you to hit me".This happens to me at least three times a month in various locations. Same ethnicity...same basic scenario. These people often do the same thing in parking lots....just walk right down the middle of the parking lot....no need to walk to the side like a normal human being.

Oh well.

This is why you should have a dashcam.
The video will show that it is not a accident and there will be no money going to them.

One thing i have noticed at crosswalks here in sweden is that moms with babystollers that wants to cross the road dont look, they just push out the stroller in to the roadway while they stand safely on the sidewalk and expects that the car that is going 30km/h(18mph) and are within 1 meter (3ft) of the crosswalk should stop at once when a stroller just shoots out from the curb.
No matter how good your brakes are you are never going to go from 30km/h (18mph) to 0 within 1 meter (3ft).

People that are out walking when its dark with dark clothes and no lightsource or reflex on them are just idiots.
I stopped and yelled at one and their answer was "its ok i can see you" yeah right what is going to happen if i have to swerve to avoid hitting something and then i hit you insted because i simply did not see you?
I got no answer to that.

Whe also have crosswalks that are combined for pedestrians and cyclists
Only thing about the crosswalks (that is just for pedestrians) here is that if you ride a bike you must get of the bike and walk it across.
If you ride the bike over it and get hit by a car its you fault and not the drivers.

Originally Posted By: PierreR

Oh well.

This is why you should have a dashcam.
The video will show that it is not a accident and there will be no money going to them.

One thing i have noticed at crosswalks here in sweden is that moms with babystollers that wants to cross the road dont look, they just push out the stroller in to the roadway while they stand safely on the sidewalk and expects that the car that is going 30km/h(18mph) and are within 1 meter (3ft) of the crosswalk should stop at once when a stroller just shoots out from the curb.
No matter how good your brakes are you are never going to go from 30km/h (18mph) to 0 within 1 meter (3ft).

People that are out walking when its dark with dark clothes and no lightsource or reflex on them are just idiots.
I stopped and yelled at one and their answer was "its ok i can see you" yeah right what is going to happen if i have to swerve to avoid hitting something and then i hit you insted because i simply did not see you?
I got no answer to that.

Whe also have crosswalks that are combined for pedestrians and cyclists
Only thing about the crosswalks (that is just for pedestrians) here is that if you ride a bike you must get of the bike and walk it across.
If you ride the bike over it and get hit by a car its you fault and not the drivers.

Wow...kind of surprised about the baby stroller incidents. Most mothers I know are highly protective at crosswalks.

I would hazard to guess though that in Sweden, the majority of the citizenry is better behaved and more inclined to follow laws/rules than in the U.S.

Many people in my neck of the woods care very little about following rules....of any kind.

I have experienced the dark clothes problem with pedestrians at night. It's even more difficult to see them when it's raining. I have no clue why some people think they can't be killed in a split second while walking RIGHT NEXT to the white lane marker on the shoulder of the road.

I guess you said it...idiots.

The pedestrians who walk in the road instead of the sidewalk are a especially annoying. No, they aren't crossing the street. They are walking in the street, parallel to the sidewalk. Heck, there's even ANOTHER sidewalk on the other side of the road. But they walk in the road. And they give me the nasty look because I have to go around them.

Oh well.

Oh yeah, in New Haven or Bridgeport its very common practice for low life's to not care to much if a nice car is coming down the road driven by people who obviously live in a nicer area. They cross the street super slow, and sometimes just amble down the center.

Its a pay day.

Oh well.

Now my interest is really piqued...what is the specific ethnicity?
I want to know which folks I should pay attention to.
20.gif
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back