Royal Purple first time buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 10w-30 HDEO still has some very good traction as a winter grade, along with being specified by currently produced vehicles. I can't think of any North American, Japanese, or European gasser currently marketed in North America that calls for a 10w-30 in SN/GF-5.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Yet on the HDEO side of the aisle, 5, 10, and now 15W 30s and 40's are just building up steam. I wouldn't call 10W-30 obsolete just yet.

NOooooooooooooo dont take away my 10w-30!,!!,!,!

Originally Posted By: Garak
A 10w-30 HDEO still has some very good traction as a winter grade, along with being specified by currently produced vehicles. I can't think of any North American, Japanese, or European gasser currently marketed in North America that calls for a 10w-30 in SN/GF-5.

Not as the primary but, Hyundai/Kia list it as an option.

Yep, we have seen it that way, for sure, and I think there was a Dodge minivan, too, fairly recently that called for it. Nonetheless Hyundia/Kia are among the few that aren't petrified of sticking to one grade no matter what the conditions.
wink.gif

That would be interesting to see. Of course, it's all academic, but they could do something like an A1/B1 A5/B5 5w-30, or stick to what they already did, since the type is already set
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Originally Posted By: stcif
There were three left. I should have grabbed them all. The 10W30's were still 37.00.

Weird... tons of cars now use 0w20... and almost zero cars spec 10w30... you'd think the 10w30 would be on clearance.

It is because they are getting rid of it of their shelves. Clearance it to get rid of it and replace it with something else. They aren't getting rid of the others.

I noticed 6 - 5 qt jugs of Royal Purple 0W20 setting in a separate area with no price. When I inquired with the auto area manager, they scanned at $21. When I asked him, "how much if I take all 6, he knocked the price down to $15 each.

However, now that I have them home, I am thinking about exchanging them for Mobil 1 0W20 EP for about $10 more each. I always use the best product (within reason) for the job. On second thought, I can't think of any advantage of the Royal Purple over Mobil 1 (besides the price). What would you do? Or if there is someone in Middle TN who wishes to buy them, make me an offer.

I also snagged 2 - 5 quart jugs of the discontinued Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 which I am keeping. No doubts about keeping that one.

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid and a 2004 Ford Focus with 2.3L engine.

I also snagged some RP 0W-20 on closeout at Walmart. My wife sent me to Walmart to pick up a couple items yesterday. So I stopped by the auto section, and found 4 qt. bottles for $3 ea. So today, when my wife had to make a trip to a neighboring town, I had her stop at Walmart and check for more. She found 2 jugs at $20.

As others have said, I've never tried RP, because I consider it to be way overpriced. But at $20, that's even cheaper than Valvoline Synpower. I'm banking on RP being at least equal to M1 EP or PP.

So, one question. My Outback takes 5 qts for an oil change. Where I got the 4 qts of RP, dare I top off with a qt of M1 or PP, to bring it up to 5 qts? There have been a number of threads here on the subject of custom blends of oils, with some of our most knowledgeable members here supporting doing so. I know they support blending different viscosity oils. But what about blending different brands of the same viscosity?

1995 Jaguar XJ6, 144,000 miles on car

out: PYB blend 10w40/10w30, Wix
in: PYB 10w40, Wix

7,000 miles on oil
8 quarts
90% highway driving

RP aint bad but even when I have to pay full price after MIR I can nab qsud or pp for somewhere around 1.99-3.99qt. I sold RP at Napa in 01' for 6.00qt and while it ran good M1 was a good oil for much less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back