Super Tech 75w140 Full Synthetic - Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 and Synpower are both pre-dosed if that's what you're asking. The Synpower says limited slip on the quart while the M1 isn't as specific though. It says "Excellent limited-slip performance" on their site. (I prefer synpower because its so cheap and if you have an AAP around you, you can get it cheaper than ST with codes.)

As far as your additive, I would stick with the Mopar. Some Jeeps require a Mopar specific fluid for their axles too.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
M1 and Synpower are both pre-dosed if that's what you're asking. The Synpower says limited slip on the quart while the M1 isn't as specific though. It says "Excellent limited-slip performance" on their site. (I prefer synpower because its so cheap and if you have an AAP around you, you can get it cheaper than ST with codes.)

As far as your additive, I would stick with the Mopar. Some Jeeps require a Mopar specific fluid for their axles too.

what he said ^ Id use synpower and see if it makes any noise. If you hear chatter add small amounts of the mopar additive until it is silent.

S/T 75w-90 semi-syn claims to meet SAE J2360; that is a very robust standard.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-75W-90-Syn-Blend-Gear-Oil-1-Quart/16795248
At less than $6/qrt, there is every reason to choose this fluid.
I do not see it on the PRI list, but I suspect it's probably a re-brand of an approved product.
The S/T 75w-140 also claims to meet that standard, but it's close to $12/qrt.
I see zero reason why you need a thick lube. The lighter grade will protect from wear just as well, offer better fuel economy, and cost less (about half) at the check-out line.

If you don't trust Wally, then consider Valvoline dino GL-5; it also meets that SAE standard, is available in a few grades, and is about the same price. These are directly listed on the list. Mobilube (Mobil) dino GL-5 is also on the list and also fairly inexpensive.

There is zero need for an expensive syn or thick grade here.

Admittedly, what your brain "wants" and what your axle "needs" are often two completely different things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back