Ramps for Roll-Over Driveway Curbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two of our three cars will scrape spoilers or lower bumper surfaces entering and exiting our driveway because of the stupid roll-over curb. Bridgid makes ramps to eliminate this problem but they aren't cheap.

Anyone here use them? Are they worth the price?

There are two Canadian companies which make this same product but they don't have distributors or Dealers in my area. Lots of online places sell the Brigid ramps but shipping is painfully expensive for these hunks of recycled tire rubber.

Last edited:
Can you cut a piece of treated lumber to size? Might not last but would be cheap

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Can you cut a piece of treated lumber to size? Might not last but would be cheap

This. A piece of treated plywood, and nail another wood strip (1x2?) on the bottom side to keep it from bending. Seen this many times and it works well, for less than $20.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Can't you just have the curb cut down a bit?

No, I would need ot have the driveway apron (the 6-inch thick slab between the sidewalk and street curb) fully removed, have the curb ground down with a diamond grinder to eliminate the rolled section, then have a new apron poured connecting the lowered curb to the remainder of my driveway. I may not be allowed to have the curb ground. Or only be allowed with an expensive permit fee.

How about a bag of asphalt (pot hole repair kind) and just fill the area you need leveled? Dump it down, step on it to smooth out and drive over it?

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
How about a bag of asphalt (pot hole repair kind) and just fill the area you need leveled? Dump it down, step on it to smooth out and drive over it?

A couple people in our neighborhood have done that. If you are careful with installation it looks good for a season or two, then it breaks off in chunks. This material is commonly called "Cold Patch" and it really requires compaction to last right. On a level surface you can mound it slightly, drop a piece of plywood over the top, then drive your car onto the plywood as a pseudo roller to tightly compact the patch material.

I priced out SS diamond plate and about fell off my chair. The diamond plate and a 3x3 angle for support underneath totals over $1300 for materials only! No cutting, no welding, no drilling/punching mounting holes, no delivery or installation labor. I take back my comment about the $2K price quotes other posters have received.

Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

A couple people in our neighborhood have done that. If you are careful with installation it looks good for a season or two, then it breaks off in chunks. This material is commonly called "Cold Patch" and it really requires compaction to last right. On a level surface you can mound it slightly, drop a piece of plywood over the top, then drive your car onto the plywood as a pseudo roller to tightly compact the patch material.

I priced out SS diamond plate and about fell off my chair. The diamond plate and a 3x3 angle for support underneath totals over $1300 for materials only! No cutting, no welding, no drilling/punching mounting holes, no delivery or installation labor. I take back my comment about the $2K price quotes other posters have received.

That's a good point about the asphalt breaking apart. Perhaps some concrete mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back