Nice Truck with a R Title. Should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally, I would say no.
However, it is a truck and it is getting to the age where it really doesn't matter as much because the resale value has dropped.
If it is a clean truck, clean trucks sell all day long.
From your description, it is low mileage, not trashed (beyond a detailing job) and in decent mechanical shape.
It is probably a nicer truck than you would get on a lot for 7k.
I would definitely get the truck gone over by a mechanic and have the trans issue checked out to see if it is minor.
If you need a truck and you are prepared to keep it until it dies and run the wheels off of it, buy it.
If you are looking at this as a short term purchase, that is where you are going to get beat up. You will end up selling it privately and probably will take a bath on it.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I won't buy salvage title cars. There is a reason they were totaled, obviously they were fixed on the cheap and they are usually a headache. The worst part is, they are tough to dump when they turn out to be a nightmare - very few people will touch them as your neighbor found out.

If the dealer who knows the car business won't touch it...

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Assumes the most likely scenario. Of course there will be exceptions but paying clean title money for a salvage title vehicle is just financially stupid.

I ll probably buy it. Just for the fact it is what it is. Its a really nice truck, super clean with no rust or even dents or chips. The body is good, so the mechanics can be fixed. Worst case scenario the transmission does go and it costs a couple thousand, its about where it would be on a lot. I went to car lot last night and they didnt even have anything really as nice and they were actually ratty and they all started at $9000 for a 2 wd truck with 130,000 plus miles. I have to agree with my wife, why not just buy a $7000 truck and have no payments and then spend $25000 and have payments. I can do a lot of maintenance to the truck and still be way ahead and save $500 a month or more on a payment. I am going to drive it the rest of the week and decide, but its looking like it will end up my spare.

Last edited:
I have no problem with a recovered theft but the possible transmission issue would have me a bit worried.
Get it checked out mechanically first before agreeing to buy it. Tires and interior parts are no big deal.

Update: Got home early today and took the truck to two transmission shops. They both checked it out and determined it was not the transmission making the bump. One said it was possibly the two piece drive shaft and the splines were worn or needed greased. The other one guessed it may be a loose spring shackle or rear end mount. Neither thought it was a mechanical internal noise or feeling. Both of course would have to have the truck to pinpoint the problem. I told the guy, I ll buy the truck. It runs flawless except for that bump. Guess, I ll change all the fluids and filters this weekend in it.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
The transmission clunk could be a problem with the drive shaft or torque converter and the reverse not engaging correctly all sound like an expensive repair awaiting ahead.

Actually, it sounds like the slip yoke needs grease...10-minute, $5 fix.
Sounds like the slip yoke to me too. Very common and very easy fix.

Nothing wrong with a salvage vehicle if the work was done right and the price is right. Sounds like it wasn't collision related so that eliminates most of the repair issues with tweaked frames and reman drivelines. You can do enough cosmetic damage to total a vehicle pretty easily, bust out the glass, cut up the interior, kick out the headlights and grille and your into a pretty big repair bill, put a hole in the radiator, ac condenser and you've pretty much got it totaled. Even spray painting the thing can run up a big insurance quote even though a good shop should be able to buff it back to factory paint pretty easily, they'll quote a full paint job ($5-6,000) just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back