Two Cycle Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

I am curious if a small amount of 2 cycle oil added to the gas tank would harm the catalytic converters.

My thought is to use maybe 1 oz per gallon. 2 cycle engines ad 2.6 oz per gallon. Whether this makes sense is imaterial. I am curious to see if it boosts mileage and since my 140K mile Suberu is starting to use more oil. (1 quart/5k miles) it might help there.

I wonder if 2 cycle oil has a lot of zddp or other wise gunks up the cats?

Originally Posted By: Al
I am curious if a small amount of 2 cycle oil added to the gas tank would harm the catalytic converters.

My thought is to use maybe 1 oz per gallon. 2 cycle engines ad 2.6 oz per gallon. Whether this makes sense is imaterial. I am curious to see if it boosts mileage and since my 140K mile Suberu is starting to use more oil. (1 quart/5k miles) it might help there.

The guys using TCW3 are dosing at a rate of 1 ounce/5 gallons of fuel. I've used twice that amount with no problem but I wouldn't go any more than that for fear of fouling plugs. I think the CC would survive your rate, but performance might suffer, and mpgs decrease. JMO

1 oz per 5 gallons is what has been recommended here for a long time. Also, make sure the oil is TCW3, for max cleaning benefits.

I know a guy who has been adding one oz per gallon to his diesel pickup for the last 200,000 miles. We pulled his injectors to have them pop tested and they were very clean (no soot or deposits like you are concerned about)

I would run it also but I fill up at various fuel stations with unknown fuel quality and ULSD can really be hit or miss and rotory style injection pumps are very unforgiving when it comes to water in fuel or algae, not to mention the very dry nature of it so I use a good quality fuel additive (Schaeffers) that addresses all of these issues. Its actually a tad cheaper than the one oz per gallon of 2 cycle oil my friend uses.

Why?

Originally Posted By: jrmason
I know a guy who has been adding one oz per gallon to his diesel pickup for the last 200,000 miles. We pulled his injectors to have them pop tested and they were very clean (no soot or deposits like you are concerned about)

I would run it also but I fill up at various fuel stations with unknown fuel quality and ULSD can really be hit or miss and rotory style injection pumps are very unforgiving when it comes to water in fuel or algae, not to mention the very dry nature of it so I use a good quality fuel additive (Schaeffers) that addresses all of these issues. Its actually a tad cheaper than the one oz per gallon of 2 cycle oil my friend uses.

Going with that ratio in a diesel wouldn't be a problem, in a gasoline engine it might pose a problem. In both cases I believe it to be beneficial as long as you don't over do it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Going with that ratio in a diesel wouldn't be a problem, in a gasoline engine it might pose a problem. In both cases I believe it to be beneficial as long as you don't over do it.

I use 1 oz / gallon for my Cummins as it has an expensive VP44 mechanical injector pump. While diesel fuel should have enough lubricity out of the pump, some extra cannot hurt.

Gas engines just do not have this issue with its injector pump needing lubricity, mainly because unless you have a DI engine you do not have an injector pump. (And I am not sure about an injector pump in a gas DI engine, but assume its not mechanical anyway).

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I use 1 oz / gallon for my Cummins as it has an expensive VP44 mechanical injector pump. While diesel fuel should have enough lubricity out of the pump, some extra cannot hurt.

Gas engines just do not have this issue with its injector pump needing lubricity, mainly because unless you have a DI engine you do not have an injector pump. (And I am not sure about an injector pump in a gas DI engine, but assume its not mechanical anyway).

I'm not sure if the OP's engine is DI or not. One thing I did observe experimenting with it in gas engines is if you dose it too much it will reduce mpgs.

Why?

BC I can.
smile.gif

Why?

BC I can.
smile.gif

That's the spirit Al!
thumbsup2.gif

Status