0W-20 in 2015 Honda Pilot in South Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.

This is my first post here on BITOG ... after finally getting an account.

I got a 2015 Honda Pilot and the owners manual says to use 0W-20.
My concern is with the SOUTH FLORIDA HEAT is this adequate?

What would you all do in my position?

Thanks

I live in Southern California, similar heat however a little less humidity. Your Pilot has the same J Series V6 as my Acura TL has and should only use 0W20. I used Mobil 1 and now Royal Purple 0W20 with a Honda filter is all my cars will use going forward.

Welcome. I'm sure it will be fine, 5w-20 and 0w-20 have been around for a while, and Honda has been using 5w-20 for at least 10 years now. Heard about all those worn out, seized Honda engines in Florida and the southwest? Neither have I.

It is just as hot in Texas (if not hotter) and there is no problem with xW-20. I have towed with it in 115+ degree heat which is definitely hotter and is under a higher load than your Honda. I would use M1 AFE 0W-20 and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: armada123
Hi everyone.

This is my first post here on BITOG ... after finally getting an account.

I got a 2015 Honda Pilot and the owners manual says to use 0W-20.
My concern is with the SOUTH FLORIDA HEAT is this adequate?

What would you all do in my position?

Thanks

everyone else says it's fine. but my suggestion would be to monitor your need for top off oil. if it gets excessive, i'd move up to the next grade.

welcome2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
Its more than adequate, its recommended...

Welcome to the Forum.

Let the dealer put-in 0W-20 oil and filter for any free maintenance and/or to show a record for warranty purposes (10K OCI?).

Personally, I'd be upgrading to a 0W-30 in the Florida heat and changing the oil every 5K on my own and using a Honda Oil Filter for when the dealer services it next (less questions and hassle).

VCM engine? Definitely wouldn't go 10k OCI's. Those overheat the deactivated cylinders and then the spark plugs crack off and fall into the cylinder. No Bueno.
What type of driving do you do? VCM is problematic with extended highway driving. City driving doesn't seem to be a problem.

Last edited:
0W-20 is more than enough. I'd use M1 0w20 EP or AFE.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Yes. 0w20 can protect your engine just fine.

Its a Honda, not a 911 Twin Turbo, AMG Benz, M6 BMW, ... etc...

Believe it or not, ALL Honda owners except ricers are well aware that it's a Honda, not a 911-AMG-BMW and so on.

But please stop posting sarcastic statements. I see that kind of useless [censored] almost in every "Honda" topic.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
VCM engine? Definitely wouldn't go 10k OCI's. [color:#3333FF]Those overheat the deactivated cylinders and then the spark plugs crack off and fall into the cylinder. [/color] No Bueno.
What type of driving do you do? VCM is problematic with extended highway driving. City driving doesn't seem to be a problem.

LOL, I may be one of the most outspoken critics of VCM on this forum but I've never heard of this case. Would you please cite a source for this occurrence?

Last edited:
You can trust that Honda knows where Florida is and they know the weather, too.

The police use 0w-20 in their vehicles in all kinds of climate and the oil does its job. Some of those vehicles are left running at idle on hot days for hours on end on days that are above 100F and they don't experience oil breakdown.

As mentioned above, check the oil frequently on a new vehicle and then after a few thousand miles consider checking everything under the hood when you fill up the gas tank.

A little care and observation can be worth the effort when it comes to owning a car or truck.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
VCM engine? Definitely wouldn't go 10k OCI's. [color:#3333FF]Those overheat the deactivated cylinders and then the spark plugs crack off and fall into the cylinder. [/color] No Bueno.

LOL, I may be one of the most outspoken critics of VCM on this forum but I've never heard of this case. Would you please cite a source for this occurrence?

I think the above is really a combination of two separate problems. Some earlier J-series engines had problems with spark plug threads if not changed regularly. I'm not all that familiar with the problem, but I do believe this is unrelated to VCM. Seems to be a certain design of cylinder heads had weaker threads. Our 2005 model is in the range considered to be at risk for that, but I changed the plugs at 90k miles and all were great still.

The VCM problems may or may not persist into Honda's so-called "second generation" VCM system now installed on most of their V-6 engines. I think the difference is they used to have only 6-cylinder mode or 3-cylinder mode with one complete bank "out" (which subsequently overloaded the bank that was "on"). Now there is a third, 4-cylinder, mode, which runs two cylinders on each bank, presumably helping the heat problem. Read more here:

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=702520&page_number=4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back