Which oil? (List inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today i had some spare time while shopping for some "car" related items and decided to check the oil aisle.

As a real BITOG member, i got to change the oil myself in my Toyota which has a diesel engine that calls for HDEO oils.
Currently i have these options:
Shell Rotella Tripte T 15W-40 (Cheapest, same price as Delvac MX)
Castrol GTX Diesel 15W-40 (Cheapst, same price as Trple T)
Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 (Slightly more expensive than the two above)
Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15W40 (Second most expensive)
Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 (Most expensive)

Which one would you recommend and why?
Since this engine is known for clogging up the EGR valve and intake manifold, i'd prefer an oil that "minimizes" as much as possible oil blow by through the piston rings and deposits.
Cold start viscosity isn't an issue since the lowest temperature it will ever see is around 22C. (Most of the time it will be more like 24C - 26C)

Last edited:
Use any of the oils during the engine break-in process and Chevron Delo 400 LE after that.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
What does Toyota recommend for your engine?

Manual says recommended oil is 5W-30 and states that it is recommended because it will allow for better cold starts in below freezing conditions but since that is not an issue for me and i live in a hot place i'd go with 15W-40 as most people do.
Asks for HDEO CF-4, CF or ACEA B1 oils. (It even said you could use CE or CD oils . . . CD ratings are from the 50s!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back