Royal Purple 15w40'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm second guessing my choice of Royal purple 15w40 for my 2011 6.7 powerstroke.
I bought the truck new and the dealer provided the first o/c free, but listed 5w20 on the invoice. When I questioned them about 5w20 in a diesel they assured me they filled it with 15w40. The reminder sticker on the glass claim they used 5w40. Needless to say I was eager to change it myself.
While it has a power train warranty I change oil at 5k intervals. I'll extend that when the warranty is done. I use the motorcraft filters and ran Rotella T6 til 20k then started using Royal purple 15w40. I"ll be changing it today at 45k and taking a sample for my first uoa.
I tow about every other weekend and nothing real heavy then. It never gets below 20f here and rarely that cold. I don't run biodiesel. I generally let the truck idle to warm-up 8-10 mins before a trip and my commute usually runs 22miles to work. Once it's warm I do tend to put my foot in it from time to time.
I know opinions differ on Royal purple, some hate it, some seem indifferent other than the price and some praise it so one would think they are drizzling it on their pancakes. I've used it for 25k now and doesn't seem to burn off. I had good luck with the same oil in my old 22r toyota and my kubota diesel mower.
Any thought or opinions?

Originally Posted By: CoconutTelegraph
I know opinions differ on Royal purple, some hate it, some seem indifferent other than the price and some praise it so one would think they are drizzling it on their pancakes. I've used it for 25k now and doesn't seem to burn off. I had good luck with the same oil in my old 22r toyota and my kubota diesel mower.
Any thought or opinions?

I see people here defending it -- against those who choose to mindlessly bash it. I do not equate defending it to hyping it.

There are still a few hard core RP haters out there (who have never even used it!), but their ranks seem to be dwindling. I think finally, there is more objectivity about it. I hope so. It is a fine product that will serve you very well, just as you can see from your personal experience with it.

As you can see I use it in two of my vehicles. RP for me personally has been a great oil and just like you I have a 1990 Toy Pickup with 300K+ miles and never burned a drop of RP and I sold the truck 2 years ago to a family member and it is still running like a top. I will likely switch both my GM vehicles over to RP as well soon.

I noticed my local Walmart had their RP 0w20 on clearance 5 qt jug for $30.
If it gets below the $26 and change the Mobil 1 jug is going for ill start using it in our camry.

Certainly nothing wrong with RP, but I don't think you're really gaining anything using it for 5K OCIs. Unless you're getting a great deal on the RP, I'd probably go back to T6.

In fleet use, these engines just get cheap bulk dino 15W-40 and OCIs of 10,000 miles or more.

I have read on various forums that letting a car, diesel or gas, warm up at idle is not a good idea. I don't have any idea about what could be good or bad about it. Anyone care to chime in?

Originally Posted By: whizbyu
I have read on various forums that letting a car, diesel or gas, warm up at idle is not a good idea. I don't have any idea about what could be good or bad about it. Anyone care to chime in?

With diesels, idling means the engine needs to go into active regen more often, and that the EGR flow makes more soot build up in the intake manifold. Older diesels didn't have those devices, but having extended idle time wasn't a good thing either.

As for gasoline engines, it mean the engine runs in open loop for a longer period of time. Open loop hurts fuel efficiency, leads to more fuel oil dilution, and lets moisture build up in the PCV/CCV system. Carb engines suffered worse, because they would operate with the choke on.

Another reason in both cases, is that engines produce more carbon monoxide and other pollutants when they are cold.

Don't idle at all before driving....IMHO. I operate a fleet of wreckers and service trucks and most are Ford Powerstrokes. We beat the crud out of them and I really mean it. No matter the temp start and haul butt and these trucks work hard....often above their rated capacities. We just beat them. Foot to the floor always. I use bulk 15w40 mag1 all fleet and are currently using 12k mile OCIs. I have OAs done by Blackstone and all is good. A truck in my fleet is expected to last 300-350k. Don't over mantain!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back