Shell Helix HX8 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Any one tried the Shell Helix HX8 5w-30 below is the link to Technical Data Sheet

TDS highlight link then right click

http://www.epc.shell.com/docs/GPCDOC_GTDS_Shell_Helix_HX8_Synthetic_5W-30_%28SN_CF_A3_B4_MB229.3%29_%28en%29_TDS.pdf

100 deg C 11.93 cSt
40 deg C 71.69 cSt
VI 163
MRV at -35 deg C 17700
Flash Pt 244 deg C
Pour Pt -48 deg C

Spec's, Approvals Etc
API SN
ACEA A3/B3 A3/B4
VW 502.00 / 505.00
MB 229.3 approved
RN 0700 / 0710

MSDS below

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00880110.PDF

Clearly the oil has HTHS > 3.5 and Noack is < 13%

Is this oil made from the XHVI based oils ie the premium Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 Ferrari approved one is made from ?

Last edited:
The cSt values are within 10% of Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 oil.

After browsing the Shell Helix Ultra 0w-40 v 5w-40 thread it made me want to post to see if there other info availble.

This HX8 is made in Hong Kong and was released to Indonesian / Asia market in the later half of 2013.

At $40 for 5L on sale it is tempting.

Last edited:
Shell Helix Ultra base oil is made with GTL technology. Only Ultra range is using this base oil
XHVI base oil is made out of slack wax and is used in this HX8 oil.

We need a little more information virginoil to properly assist. Specifically, we would need to know what vehicle you have, so that we can recommend a product that your OEM requires.

In addition, if you want a proper cross to the Helix HX8 product, we will need the full Helix HX8 product name before we can recommend a proper Pennzoil cross. There are actually numerous Helix HX8 products – for example, there is a Helix HX8 Synthetic Professional AG 5W30 product, which is a certified GM Dexos1; while there are also a Helix HX8 5W30 and 5W40 products that have numerous European specifications assigned to them, etc.

Needless to say, we would not want to assume which Helix HX8 product you are referring to – if we did we might recommend a Pennzoil European fluid when what you actually need is a GM Dexos1 fluid, or vice versa. - The Pennzoil Team

My vehicle is a Holden Commodore with a 2003 V6 3800 VY engine similar to the L36 Buick engine.

Due to lack of information on the HX8 as it is relatively new product I was trying to find if there was Pennzoil re-branded version of this one and the HX8 is just another market exercise by Shell.

By the way thanks for taking the time for responding.

Last edited:
Installed the fresh 5w-30 Shell HX8 oil and the oil pressure reading was 47psi at idle rate of 700rpm, this is 8psi lower compared to the 55psi for the Penrite 5w-40 everyday plus semi-syn oil I was using. Both readings were done at the same engone temperature.

The pressure reading was by a mechanical gauge fitted to the oil sender spot and I was told this is accurate.

My mechanic doesn't like the 5w-30 Shell HX8 because of the pressure drop. I have asked him at the next change to take oil pressure readings through the rev range for 5w-30 HX8 oil whilst driving using the mechanical gauge with an extension tube to be read inside the vehicle. He has agreed to to this.

I have read although there is a pressure drop in going from a 5W-40 to a 5W-30 grade this should not be a problem at idle as it is not under load.

As the 5w-30 is the thinnest grade oil approved by the OEM Holden I will give this a try and report back with oil pressure readings taken for 5w-30 HX8 oil in real world driving conditions.

Last edited:
I really don't think you have a problem...that actually sounds like a really high OP reading for idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back