Amsoil 10w30 MCT versus Mobil 1 AFE 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mackelroy

That showed me it was a very usable combination in that motor. Might try that and see what it does in your case.

Thanks but I don't fear the shearing of multigrade oils because the difference in
viscosity between the grades is around 3 cSt and thats not 3 cSt thinner or thicker...
the measurement is 3 cSt in more gravity flow... 3 cSt in more gravity flow doesn't risk
increase wear...

14226d1267629229-daft-guide-oil-viscosity-grades-sae.jpg

viscosity.JPG

Okay lets take the shearing and fuel dilution out of the equation, including the loss of flash point.

Your metal count is too high for a Honda in that short amount of miles, I think your shedding a lot more metal than you think but are running too short of an oci to really grasp the amount.

Your apparent lack of understanding of fluid mechanics is absolutely staggering, along with your diagram of an inverted jug of oil. The most commonly used method of measuring an oils viscosity is utilizing the capillary tube viscometer test (ASTM D 445) via a capillary U-tube under suction to draw the fluid up to a set position, and then releasing the suction for the fluid to flow back through the tube via gravitation.

Oil Viscosity Measuring Systems

Furthermore you state, "the difference in viscosity between the grades is around 3 cSt and that's not 3 cSt thinner or thicker..."

Quoting The Automotive Lubricants Reference book by Arthur Caines and Roger Haycock published by SAE on page 100, " The viscosity of a fluid is in essence it's resistance to flow," followed by, "this resistance correlates directly to how viscous the oil grade is, the more viscous grades of oil take more time to flow than thinner grades of oil."

Obviously this counteracts your statement, "that's not 3 cSt thinner or thicker..." because the entire reason that there is a flow differentiation between a 30 and 40 grade oil of 3.2 cSt is BECAUSE a 30 grade oil is "thinner" and it's subsequent flow rate via gravity cause it to flow through the capillary at a faster rate.

Please make an attempt to check your facts beforehand so as not to confuse new/other members and feel free to list any and all peer reviewed references to validate your conjectures.

Originally Posted By: Analyzer

Please make an attempt to check your facts beforehand so as not to confuse new/other members

People are confused... I think we can do a better job educating what
we all know is true... like when we say the oil sheared 3 cSt, new
members think the oil size was reduced by 3 cst... my point is a 3 cSt
is the result of a gravity flow test... thinking in terms of flow and
not size we can all make more informed choices in oil...

Understanding a 3 cSt change in viscosity is measured by noting the time it takes oil to
travel through the orifice of a capillary under the force of gravity... its not a size measurement...
backup_200203_KinemVisc-Fig1.gif

Last edited:
BusyLittleShop, I truly believe you're trying to bring about helpful and useful information to other members of this site, but unless you go into great detail or provide links and references that members can further study and look at, much confusion can and will result.

I haven't come across any members that have stated that they believe when a 10W40 shears down to a 10W30 after an OCI in their wet clutch motorcycles that they believe the size of the oil has changed. Between a 30 and a 40 grade oil there is a difference of 3.2 cSt, and what causes this difference in cSt and the time differentiation between the two in the capillary tube viscometer test is due to the THICKNESS IN VISCOSITY. Gravity has nothing to do with this; this is why gravity is utilized as the "constant" in this test, because gravity will have the same effect and force on any item, whether it's in bringing a bowling ball or a golf ball being dropped off the roof of a building, they will both hit the ground at the same time even though their weight and physical dimensions are different. Gravity will likewise have the same effect on either a 30 or 40 grade oil, and the only thing that alters how long it takes to move from the starting to finishing position is the THICKNESS/VISCOSITY OF THE OIL.

To recap, when a 10W40 shears down to a 10W30, the oils viscosity has dropped and the oil is not as viscous. This then can have a detrimental effect because the oil film can rupture in critical areas of the engine and gearbox because it lacks as much oil film strength in these highly stressed areas. If you are to again reply to me, please reference the entire post and the references you plan on debunking instead of quoting single sentences that leave out all the pertinent information and references.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

Please make an attempt to check your facts beforehand so as not to confuse new/other members

People are confused... I think we can do a better job educating what
we all know is true... like when we say the oil sheared 3 cSt, new
members think the oil size was reduced by 3 cst... my point is a 3 cSt
is the result of a gravity flow test... thinking in terms of flow and
not size we can all make more informed choices in oil...

Understanding a 3 cSt change in viscosity is measured by noting the time it takes oil to
travel through the orifice of a capillary under the force of gravity... its not a size measurement...
backup_200203_KinemVisc-Fig1.gif

BusyLittleShop, I truly believe you're trying to bring about helpful and useful information to other members of this site, but unless you go into great detail or provide links and references that members can further study and look at, much confusion can and will result.

Thanks Analyzer... I think you bring a lot too and I agree the less confusion the better...

If you are to again reply to me, please reference the entire post and the references you plan on debunking instead of quoting single sentences that leave out all the pertinent information and references.

Sorry buddy... thats not my style... its too confusing...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back