New Galaxy S6 is eliminating

Status
Not open for further replies.
the removable battery, and the memory card slot
frown.gif

I guess it can now be officially called the Android iPhone...

not really a bad thing. I think a completely sealed phone feels more solid and well built. I love that about my iphone 6 and i loved my old HTC one which had a battery that was sealed inside the phone. it makes for a nice an sturdy design.

The Samsung phones are nice, but the removable back cover does take away from its rigidity IMO. This was the whole reason i chose the HTC one over the S4 a year or so ago. The HTC seemed much more solid with its aluminum frame.

Not a good move in my opinion to force the customer to have to pay more for a phone simply to have more memory at 3-4x the cost of the memory. I can cheaply increase the memory in my S5 and replace the battery at will. I have had a Galaxy from the beginning and the S5 is the best ever, but I can see a different brand of phone in my pocket when this one goes if the S6 is that way.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Not a good move in my opinion to force the customer to have to pay more for a phone simply to have more memory at 3-4x the cost of the memory. I can cheaply increase the memory in my S5 and replace the battery at will. I have had a Galaxy from the beginning and the S5 is the best ever, but I can see a different brand of phone in my pocket when this one goes if the S6 is that way.

I have the s5 as well and feel the same as you do!!!

I'm getting one. undecided between edge and regular. I can upgrade for free so I'll sell my s4 that I love. With 128gb space you don't need a memory card. And it's supposed to be very efficient so way better battery life.

Last edited:
D.U.M.B. My phone has a removable battery, its the only way to go. Have fun spending $$$ when your battery konks out.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
D.U.M.B. My phone has a removable battery, its the only way to go. Have fun spending $$$ when your battery konks out.

I'm sure the battery will still be removable (IE, not soldered to the board). It will just be less accessible. Similar to changing the battery on the iPhone where there's really only like three or 4 screws to get it out but it is "not removable".

IMHO the biggest inconvenience is not being able to do a "battery pull" easily.

Originally Posted By: abycat
With 128gb space you don't need a memory card. And it's supposed to be very efficient so way better battery life.

True, the problem is--much like the iPhone--is that you are paying so much more for that "fixed" memory versus the ability to have a card. Memory cards are cheap and if they fail you do not have to buy a new phone, just swap the cards. Just another way for a mobile phone company to jack the customer.

My HTC one m7 has a sealed battery, I just carry a Mugen Power 3,000 mah battery case if I ever need more juice.

The idea of removing the SD card slot and expanding memory will be a good thing for most since the external slots have had a past reputation of occasionally frying their cards, the internal memory should prove move stable.

My upgrade is in April and I'm not really impressed with either the Galaxy S6 or Htc One M9. I might keep my HTC one m7 until Samsung comes out with a new note.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: gregk24

I'm sure the battery will still be removable (IE, not soldered to the board). It will just be less accessible. Similar to changing the battery on the iPhone where there's really only like three or 4 screws to get it out but it is "not removable".

IMHO the biggest inconvenience is not being able to do a "battery pull" easily.

Exactly, they aren't hard to replace. Also, for example, an iPhone battery doesn't really cost that much. Never had a problem with any of mine.

An iPhone battery is about 10 bucks on Amazon (or 20 bucks if you buy "the nice one") and takes about 5 minutes to replace. In my opinion, removable batteries are highly over-rated. I used to cherish the one in my old Droid 2 because I'd have to do battery-pull-reboots all the time. With current versions of Android and iOS, however, the need to be able pull the battery at will really isn't there.

I'm sure that there are a subset of users who travel for days at a time without access to a charger, and want to carry a few spare batteries with them. For those folks, a phone with a "non removable" battery just won't work. The majority of users, however, will never touch their battery to begin with, "non removable" or not.

Also, if your pulling a battery to swap it for a fully charged one, you're restarting the phone.

Battery cases are an excellent alternative and provide protection. Flipping a switch is easier than safely (or if you prefer just pulling the battery) turning off the phone, pulling the cover, switching the battery, then powering it back up.

I really like my Otterbox Resurgence. I had a few Mophie cases before but prefer the Otterbox.

Sometimes when I'm doing a bunch of upgrades/migrations inside some of our SNFs, I'll go through a whole charge and half of the battery case from 9am to 5pm. Works well for me.

Kinda saw this coming with Android O/S limiting what applications could write to the removable SD card.

If all the storage is internal, that (self created) problem goes away.

Not saying I approve, just saying I can see an additional reason to go this direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back