Newer jeeps ? pro's & con's ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rjundi
A CUV may fit the bill if your wife is okay using a FWD Accord the majority of the time.

My grandmother went for years using a Subaru Forester on steeper grades and a deep in snow/mud driveway(1500'+) that drifts in. My Acura MDX handles it with finesse and absolute blast to bomb down it with the trick AWD system that kicks power side to side to help handling on the gravel and winter packed roads.

Opens a lot of choices.

Very good point.
A Forester or Outback would be good in the conditions the OP's wife faces while a big CUV like your MDX (or its brother the Pilot) would offer good bad weather performance (not as good as a Subaru, sorry) as well as plenty of space.
The OP isn't talking Rubicon driving conditions and doesn't need something adequate for conditions the thing will never see.
For real off-road use in a larger package, a Land Cruiser or Range Rover puts a Cherokee, Grand or otherwise, on the trailer anyway.
If the OP wants a real off-road capable vehicle, maybe he should look at these two?
Both have interiors that make that of a Grand Cherokee look like a Yugo's and both are really well made.
The Toyota is known to last about forever but is never cheap new or used.

I have an 02 WJ, 4.7 NV242, 545RFE

If you listen to boards you would never buy a Jeep. Mine has been flawless, in 13 yrs have replaced 2 set plugs, 1 brake job (rotors pads), fluid changes. Only things that have failed is one frozen rear caliper repalced in driveway for 30$ reman caliper, pair dash Infinity Tweeters and H-valve gasket on AC under warranty.

Have found most original high end Jeep owners( think Grand Cherokees) are clueless about maintenance, and expect perfection hence all the [censored],

When sold second hand then they get beat to [censored] by people wheeling them and lifting them, so again more [censored] because of self induced stupidity.

The new ones are rolling electronics with ZF trnamissions, ZF Diffs and Magna powertrain t-case.. If I was buying one I would get a max care warranty to cover all the electronics.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
The 4 runner or the Highlander both have momma curious now !

Both of these are great choices....but I would still lean toward the 4Runner. IMO, they are more solidly built than the Highlander and their engines are winners (especially the V8).

Keep looking in a 50 mile radius on Craigslist as well as all the used cr dealers in your area. Your bound to find a suitable 4Runner in a reasonable amount of time.

What about something AWD? Toyota is discontinuing the Venza so you might be able to get in at a good price, or maybe a Subaru Outback or forester.

Nissan Xterra's are pretty sweet as well. All should be in the 30k territory though options might put the Xterra above it.

+1 on the 4 Runner if your looking at it. absolutely love them.

Last edited:
quality dosnt cost -it pays .get a toyota. the higher cost will be off set by lack of repairs. my 03 has had none and wifes 04 just 1. what other make can match this? none

Originally Posted By: super20dan
quality dosnt cost -it pays .get a toyota. the higher cost will be off set by lack of repairs. my 03 has had none and wifes 04 just 1. what other make can match this? none

Well said, sir!
smirk.gif

didnt read all the posts. bought an 04 grand cherokee limited with the 4.7 new. now is about to turn 200000 miles. only repair has been a power steering unit. everything else is all original. cant beat the quadra drive. i have had a few wranglers over the years also. avoid the 3.8 engines as they tend to use/leak oil. i also have a new wrangler "15" sport s . my daughter now drives my 11 with the pentastar, no repairs yet, 40000 miles. stay away from the new cherokees. trans and front axil issues are almost a certainty, though chrysler seems to be getting a handle on the issues and are able to fix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back