Scion IQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the risk of starting the usual rag thread, I thought I would mention that since the scion iq is widely avoided as a new car, the used market seems to be a place to pick up a good value in a used Scion. A few year old IQ with only 20K or so on it is only be 10K probably less if you arm twist (like who else is going to buy it); that is a 1/3 depreciation on a Toyota in just a few years. The value of the auto as anything but what it is has already been discussed and probably doesn't need repeating.

Obviously not the vehicle for 'most anyone' lol, but it might be a reasonable consideration for someone in college that needs a reliable, few times a week vehicle, that still has the mfg warranty (i think it is transferrable)

Just an idea

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with it. I see little Toyota Yaris' and know ppl with old Toyota echo's still. Solid cars that run forever and for cheap. Reminds me of the old tercels. If you just need something small and cheap to get around why not..i only haul alot of stuff once or twice a year..thus I just rent those times. Alot of ppl could save money going with needs over wants on this. (Obviously wont apply to everyone)

Even better for a college ride is that it's tiny. So spots that others would fear to tread are opened up. For a college student running around town with a backpack and a few bags of groceries, it would work well.

If you like 4 wheels, a seat and don't care what you look like it may work out.

It looks like a deathtrap in a rear collision. My guess is crash testing support this.

When compared to the Smart For Two, it's actually pretty good.

Toyota 4 cyl vs Mitsubishi 3 cyl. Toyota wins

CVT vs the slowest shifting comical automated manual ever. Toyota wins. (Europe gets a manual transmission)

iQ has a backseat for a small person and possibly a smaller person with no legs. Smart has none. Toyota wins

FF vs RR. I'm going to give one to the Smart For Two here.

Crash testing: Both keep their passenger compartments intact in a frontal collision. Neither have any sort of effective crumple zone to absorb the impact. Draw. (maybe slight edge to Smart)

Smart For Two has a Targa availiable. Smart Car wins

The main problem I still have is that a used Mitsubishi Mirage, Kia Rio or Nissan Versa are in the same price range. Low mileage '08-'11 Focus or Cobalt is probably cheaper. SX4 is cheaper (but there's the looming spectre of not being able to get a part for it)

I'd get a Mirage or a Spark before I'd even consider an overpriced iQ. Not much bigger, cheaper, better fuel economy and 100000x as useful.

Can you park an IQ perpendicular to the curb? I guess it would fit into a lot of small parallel parking spaces too. Other than that, I don't see why a bit bigger car would be a problem and there should be lots of Yari and Versas around at a similar price.

If you have no parking problem, SmartFor2 and iQ are not the car for you.

If you have really limited parking in your area and you need to park the car perpendicular to the curb, you pretty much have no choice but these cars or take a cab / rideshare.

I'd agree that parking might be the main draw for owning this vehicle. If you live or travel and park in tight urban areas these cars can make a lot of sense if you buy it used. If you don't have to take it on the freeway much even more so. A car in the 120" range is an oddity but a functional one if it's used as above and you have that need. If you drive on the freeway a lot and have any pretense for comfort or functional space, I'd pick something else.

My car is 162" long and I can easily slot into smaller open street parking where the SUVs just circle the block for 20 minutes. That's worth money to me right there and might save you time, frustration, and even a parking ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back