Oil Recommendation-2015 Honda Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Throt
Amsoil 0w20 Signature Series and Amsoil Filter.

Change once per year.

Live.

He cannot do this and keep his 60K engine warranty in-tack. I also love Amsoil's products, but not at double the price of Mobil 1 EP. Best to change oil and/or filter every 5,000 +/- miles while under warranty - comparing where the OLM is at 5K to fine-tune the OCI (after 2 early LOF changes during the engine break-in period).

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Originally Posted By: Throt
Amsoil 0w20 Signature Series and Amsoil Filter.

Change once per year.

Live.

He cannot do this and keep his 60K engine warranty in-tack. I also love Amsoil' products, but not at double the price of Mobil 1 EP.

Oh shoot. I forgot about the warranty part when I wrote that.

Yea scratch that until the warranty is up.

M1 EP w/ Fram Ultra. Follow Oil Life Monitor. For the inexpensiveness of filters, I see no sense in even debating leaving a filter on for 2 intervals. I personally couldn't do it, even if it "is" perfectly okay to do.

I'm taking the Pepsi challenge and running a M1 filter for Honda's recommended every other oil change interval. Currently at 70% on the 2nd fill of QSUD. 14,000 miles so far on this filter. Next filter is a XG. I'll try a Wix XP next.

Unlike the OP, my driving is 90% highway 200+ miles per trip so my last MM event was 10,000 miles on the oil. I speculate your minder will have you changing oil at less than 6,000 miles.

Keep your eye out for sales of Mobil AFE, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, or Valvoline Synpower in 0w-20 and your Honda will live long and prosper.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Any BITOGers feel adventurous and disregard warranty requirements?

Sometimes I just feel rebellious!
grin.gif
I'm tempted to use 0w-30 AFE in the Accord since Mobil says its ok, does that count?
Mobil

Valvoline, Quaker State, Mobil, Pennzoil, Kendall, etc, synthetics. Whatever you choose will be fine for your car with the oil change interval you are currently doing. Change the oil filter at each oil change and you are good to go.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Any BITOGers feel adventurous and disregard warranty requirements?

Currently running M1 0w40 in a car that specs 5w30... under warranty... OMG...!

However...

It was the last year that Subaru had the temperature / useage / viscosity chart in the owners manual ... I am "allowed..." to use 5w30, 10w30, 5w40, 10w40, 20w50 or even straight 40...

Probably screwed though, because 0w40 is not specifically mentioned...!

Originally Posted By: LotI
I'm tempted to use 0w-30 AFE in the Accord since Mobil says its ok, does that count?

Many Honda owners with the V-6 do indeed use a 0W-30 synthetic due to the extra timing chain that sheer the oil a little faster. I agree with this tactic as long as the engine is not short-tripped a lot .... a 0W-20 works better for times when the oil is not fully warmed up.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Originally Posted By: LotI

Many Honda owners with the V-6 do indeed use a 0W-30 synthetic due to the extra timing chain that sheer the oil a little faster. I agree with this tactic as long as the engine is not short-tripped a lot .... a 0W-20 works better for times when the oil is not fully warmed up.

Honda SOHC V6 engines have a timing belt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Doesn't your car have the computerized maintenance minder to tell you when to change the oil?

Personally, I'd use Mobil 1 from Walmart and call it a day.

Agree.

M1 0w/20EP and either a Fram Ultra, Bosch D+ or OE Honda Filter.

Follow the Maintenance Minder.

Originally Posted By: Jiffy_Chris
Honda does not recommend filter changes every other. I'm confused as to why people think that. Service codes A and B are both LOF.

Well, the local Honda dealer thinks that the A1 service doesn't require a filter change...

Hi akv,

Honda owner here since 2002.

Oil change and interval requirements have changed over the years. Follow the i-mid screen and you'll have many years of worry-free ownership.

The Honda is not picky on oil. Just go with whatever 0W20 you can find on sale.

As for the filter, if you elect to change your filter every other oil change (as per the i-mid screen), go with a high quality filter such as Royal Purple or the FRAM Ultra. If you elect to change your oil filter at every change, go with a Wix or FRAM ToughGard. I would advise against using Purolator for the time being.

Honda does not recommend filter changes every other. I'm confused as to why people think that. Service codes A and B are both LOF.

Nope... not all...

2007 Honda Odyssey...

A: Change engine oil
B: Change engine oil AND oil filter. + check and inspect ...

I stand corrected on technical aspect. Normal driving conditions does say 7500 for oil filter. But at the same time the Honda service dept. Says they change the filter every time.

I stand corrected on technical aspect. Normal driving conditions does say 7500 for oil filter. But at the same time the Honda service dept. Says they change the filter every time.

To my knowledge, all Honda dealerships change both the oil and filter at every oil change. They do not follow exactly what the MM says.

Having said that, it becomes an issue of necessity in some cases, depending on what filter is used. There are some filters that are rated for, and can be used for up to 15k miles such as the Royal Purple and FRAM Ultra. It would be a waste to toss the filter after a typical 6-8k OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back