5w20 verses 5w30 in other countries without cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In OZ a 5w-40 is a reasonable spec to use in most instances.

Thinking of switching to the new Pure-plus Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 at viscosity 40 deg C is 79.1 cst and at 100 deg C is 13.1 cst next service.

Which is approx 10% higher than the Shell HX8 5w-30 grade I am currently running ie viscosity at 40 deg C is 71.7 cst and at 100 deg C is 11.9 cst.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: gregk24
The oil of choice for my Accords 2.4 in Germany is 5w30, if I were in Australia it would be 5w30-5w40. Shannow, do you even have 0w20 available over there?

Yep,
can get 5W20 any day at my local supercheap, (a version, the Japanese high shear) TGMO at my Toyota dealer (only for the 86), Subaru have it, Fuchs have had it longer than the Porsche cup, Penrite had a "race" 0W20 (really 0W16), for 5-6 years now.

The OEMs are able to import whole cars to Australia, so were an unusual viscosity of markedly superior performance, I'm sure that they could bring it in, rather than specifying something else.

Toyota Germany list the xw20 as oil for hybrids used in non high speed service.
We can also get it any time.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: gregk24
The oil of choice for my Accords 2.4 in Germany is 5w30, if I were in Australia it would be 5w30-5w40. Shannow, do you even have 0w20 available over there?

Yep,
can get 5W20 any day at my local supercheap, (a version, the Japanese high shear) TGMO at my Toyota dealer (only for the 86), Subaru have it, Fuchs have had it longer than the Porsche cup, Penrite had a "race" 0W20 (really 0W16), for 5-6 years now.

The OEMs are able to import whole cars to Australia, so were an unusual viscosity of markedly superior performance, I'm sure that they could bring it in, rather than specifying something else.

Toyota Germany list the xw20 as oil for hybrids used in non high speed service.
We can also get it any time.

We have

Shell Helix Ultra SN 0W-20
Nulon Full Synthetic 5W-20
TITAN GT1 0W-20
Penrite ENVIRO+ 0W-20
Valvoline SynPower 0W-20
Honda 0w-20 or 5w-20 from dealer

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
My hyundais say 5w20 on the oil cap

Good to know. What year are your Hyundai's?

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
My hyundais say 5w20 on the oil cap

Good to know. What year are your Hyundai's?

Our 2012 KIA has 5w20 on the cap too. The manual also allows 5w30 and 10w30 but it pushes the 5w20 hard of course.

Here's where I get chapped at CAFE. In our KIA manual and others I've seen the 5w20 recommendation comes hand in hand with the "optimum fuel economy" lingo. Not a word about "optimum protection". Then it goes on to state if any real work is to be done (like towing or driving in high heat) to jump to the 5w30 or 10w30.

From the manufacturers themselves it seems the 20 grades are all about CAFE. But even with the 5w20 I know the engine will likely out last the rest of the vehicle. It bugs me anyway though.
21.gif

What do u use in your hyundai 5w20 or 5w30 ?

Are you asking about my KIA, that seemed directed at me? I started with 5w20, switched to 5w30 have been running that a while and UOA'd it (better) but currently have the last fill of syn 5w20 in it for winter that I bought on close out. Next two OCI's are already bought for it, Magnatec 5w30.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Here's where I get chapped at CAFE. In our KIA manual and others I've seen the 5w20 recommendation comes hand in hand with the "optimum fuel economy" lingo. Not a word about "optimum protection".

I was recently looking through a Mustang GT owner's manual and it said that exact same thing,"Ford recommends 5W20 for optimum fuel economy". No where in the manual did it say 5W20 was recommended for optimum protection. I couldn't care less about fuel economy in a muscle car,save that for the hybrids.

What do u use in your hyundai 5w20 or 5w30 ?

Are you asking about my KIA, that seemed directed at me? I started with 5w20, switched to 5w30 have been running that a while and UOA'd it (better) but currently have the last fill of syn 5w20 in it for winter that I bought on close out. Next two OCI's are already bought for it, Magnatec 5w30.

My Sonata 2.4 runs exactly the same on any of the owner's manual recommended oils. I've noticed no difference. At times, just after changing the oil, I've said, 'wow thats smoother' but after 50 miles or so, same as the last oil used. Whether Cafe driven or not, I'm sure the vehicle will last just as long with the 5w20. But hey, at least i know Hyundai/Kia has given us choices.

Last edited:
i did not actually lie that could have lead up to it i found out later he also used STP.

If he was using STP, it was no longer 10-30, it could've been almost any viscosity.

IIRC the only manufacturers that do not list a grade on the oil cap are, Kia/Hyundai, Nissan and the European makes.

My Town Car did not. My 1999.5 Lightning did. I believe the last of the Crown Vics did, too. So yes, I guess it really depends where one looks. Realistically, if the vehicle is basically the same on both sides of the border and we have the same oil recommendations, there's no reason to use a different cap.

My Infiniti, as you mentioned Nissan, has no grade listed, either. A couple buddies have later model Fords and Hondas, so I'll have to take a look. I suspect the Ford will have a grade listed, but the Honda, I'll have to check for sure.

so you like the 5w30 better? And did the uoa look better also ?
Yes your kia, sorry

Yes and yes, although I have an admitted bias against 20 grades. Works for me anyway!

Have seen some more recent Hyundai/KIA 20 grade UOA's that were pretty good, but I've seen a lot I also think woulda been a bit better on a 5w30.

Can't wait to UOA the Magnatec!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Best way to find that info is to go on an oil company's site's lube match for your car. Try this one:

http://lubematch.shell.com.au

Interesting. The Aussie Shell site wants me to use 10W-40 Helix but the UK site says to use 5W-30 Ultra Helix syn. Mobil 1's Euro sites say 0W-40 for the Saturn/Opel/Vauxhaull/Holden Astra 1.8L. The U.S. manual says the typical GM 5W-30 or 0W-30 in extreme cold...

Here's where I get chapped at CAFE. In our KIA manual and others I've seen the 5w20 recommendation comes hand in hand with the "optimum fuel economy" lingo. Not a word about "optimum protection". Then it goes on to state if any real work is to be done (like towing or driving in high heat) to jump to the 5w30 or 10w30.

From the manufacturers themselves it seems the 20 grades are all about CAFE. But even with the 5w20 I know the engine will likely out last the rest of the vehicle. It bugs me anyway though.
21.gif

same with toyota. 0W20 is preferred, but they state that higher viscosity offers more protections at higher temps.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I've never driven a car with 5W-20 in it. Can't imagine the engine being very quiet.

On a free revving four cylinder that I think was back specced from Ford to 5w20, this SOHC engine seemed to have raw power, hard to describe but it seemed to have more bruteness, despite the fact is only had 63hp.

Originally Posted By: Garak
IIRC the only manufacturers that do not list a grade on the oil cap are, Kia/Hyundai, Nissan and the European makes.

My Town Car did not. My 1999.5 Lightning did. I believe the last of the Crown Vics did, too. So yes, I guess it really depends where one looks. Realistically, if the vehicle is basically the same on both sides of the border and we have the same oil recommendations, there's no reason to use a different cap.

My Infiniti, as you mentioned Nissan, has no grade listed, either. A couple buddies have later model Fords and Hondas, so I'll have to take a look. I suspect the Ford will have a grade listed, but the Honda, I'll have to check for sure.

Actually, Kia/Hyundai do have the oil type on the caps. I consider myself a visual learner and Nissan/Hyundai caps are nearly identical. My mistake there.

Folks need to be careful with engine manufacturers that are using engine oil as a hydraulic fluid to actuate cam phasers & cylinder deactivation.

Hydraulic system performance is much more sensitive to viscosity & temperature than historic engine components (see: automatic transmission servo valves & corresponding lubricants).

My Ram truck OM specifically says not to vary from 5W-20 specifically for this reason - the HEMI engine's cylinder deactivation will not 'work right' (whatever that means) with other viscosity engine oils. Over the ambient temperature spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back