Rust at 2800 Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. We had a flat tire and when I took off the tire I found this. We bought the car Dec 2014 and it only has 2800 miles on it. What do you think? Normal??
2014 Hyundai Accent
South Texas so no salt etc on the roads.
Thanks
Accent Photo

It's just surface rust. Not going to eat through anything. Same stuff that's on your brake rotors after you wash the car or after a rain storm.

Originally Posted By: Datarock
Hey everyone. We had a flat tire and when I took off the tire I found this. We bought the car Dec 2014 and it only has 2800 miles on it. What do you think? Normal??
2014 Hyundai Accent
South Texas so no salt etc on the roads.
Thanks
Accent Photo

110% normal, what do you think the metal from your rotors is supposed to do? my new rotors did that in 24 hours..

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It's just surface rust. Not going to eat through anything. Same stuff that's on your brake rotors after you wash the car or after a rain storm.

As a New Yorker and great connoisseur of rusty things, I can safely say this is correct. Nothing to worry about.

If you are planning to stay in NH I would slap some antisieze on those areas, or it may be more "fun" next time you pull a wheel. But otherwise normal.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The only shocking thing I see is that they still use drum brakes on new cars.

Falls under the ... " Does it really matter...? " category.

If you saw drums on the FRONT , then I'd be concerned...

You could have had the rust at 5 miles if it rained the day before. Some rotors have a coating to prevent the rust in areas where the pad does not hit. But where the pad hits it will rust.

My boat trailer has SS rotors I believe.

If you had a Plymouth Volare you'd have rusty fenders before you left the showroom.

normal. I might wire brush that off, cover the studs with a piece of rubber hose and spray a bit of rust convertor on that. Then a touch of anti seize on the hub

Usually it is only aluminum wheels that will weld themselves to the hubs, If you have steel wheels, you should be fine.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned that it's just a matter of time before the entire drum gets covered in rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back