2015 370z Nismo

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does it work:

all samples was reach a boiled temperature, approx 280 Celsius.
a good samples stay clean, even produced some varnish on a flask, it acceptable
a bad samples fall in polymerization reaction in a few minutes after reaching boiling point.

what do you see in a bad flask is mostly affect a piston ring area, specifically oil ring that lost movement and ability to remove oil. the major reason as the oil breaking out due to temperature and leave polymerization residue on a ring circle. (it not in volume it a tiny particles on the oil ring). this will not happen in the oil pan.

Again it depend on motor constructive, ring type, heat level, like, turbo high output with compact design, city stop/go traffic, or highway. Story tells after 6 month a new car in heavily city stop and go traffic, start consuming the oil. in opposite highway same period and oil, no consumption at all.

the indicator that something going in a wrong direction is a oil consumption. I have some personal skeptic view on "all engine consume oil", I rather say: "wrong oil that kill your engine"

personally: my route is 95% city. So i just boil a sample in a can outside for 15-20 min. then see what inside.

Pennzoil all versions - clean result; Castrol 0W30 (German made in 2010) - good result.
Mobile 0W40 and 0W30 (green bottle) - clean. I didn try to boil Castrol edge 5W30 - not trust it, simply.

mobile 1 ESP 5W30 - give a really bad result on the bottom of can.
a time, or manufacture plant, region can affect result, due difference in base-stock and additives even for the same brand\type (marketing and chemistry usually has no connection points)

Ah one more thing, came to the dealer with Castrol 0W30; and it came in arguments of "0" is not "5" or "10". finally sign a paper, customer aware of wrong oil ... so lesson taken, (warranty and so on), pennzoil platinum 5W30 from wallmart, and my own filter.

(ok as I speak), my second point is filtration, so i'm taken a over-sized filter, M1-110 (for 5.6L nissan engine), and dealer do not mind at all. Since beginning i use Mobile1 filter, then switch to royal purple model, seems synthetic media has better filtration, amsoil has a very good one, and last fram ultra seems too. for a cross-chart your reference is M1-110 - big one; M1-108 - small (normal)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Honestly the Mobil 1 0w40 has the extra HTHS those VQ engines need!

If you choose to stay in grade i would want an oil that meets ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4

Ditto on Mobil 1 0W40... Great oil. Very nice car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back