post your latest transmission lubricant change.

11 qts. Toyota WS fluid, dropped the pan, replaced the filter and gasket at 72,000 miles. Fluid was very very dark, but the magnets were free of metal. I plan on doing simple drain and refills every 30k.

I've got 15k on the fluid right now and everything seems good.

2002 Ford Ranger automatic...

Out: About 3 quarts of Castrol Mercon V and bulk Mercon V from a Ford dealer.

In: 3 quarts Motorcraft Mercon V.

I used a LiquiVac through the dipstick.

04 Silverado 4.8L, 177,500 miles
Out: unknown fluid, AC Delco tranny filter, pan drop
In: installed drain plug on pan, wix tranny filter, supertech atf fill.

Exchanged the (I am guessing) factory fill on my 06 Trailblazer. 4L60E. Bought it used with 25,000 Km. Did the cooler line exchange. Put in 5 liters at a time on pump out. First 5 were Maxlife as most of it should have worked its way out with waste. What filled the rest was Amsoil low viscosity MV fluid. The pump out worked flawlessly and never spilled a drop doing the pan drop. Old fluid was brown, not burnt smelling. Used a Hastings (Filtran) filter and buttoned her back up. Drives great and shifts normal. 160,000 Km and probably wont touch it again before she is decommissioned.

2008 Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7 4x4....out unknown trans.fluid...in Mobil ATF+4 on sale.. no filters changed and no metal shaveings on magnet and very clean..gasket was leaking and due for new gasket..im happy now

2004 Lexus LS430 w/ A761E 6spd auto @ 110,000mi

Out: 12qts original Toyota WS
In: 12qts Toyota WS with LG Red and new filter and gasket.

The original fluid looked like black mud water and the smell comes with it smells like a junkyard used oil drum. That's how bad this fluid is and it's not designed for 100,000mi use.

Last edited:
1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3L @ 99,515 mi.
Simple drain and fill
3 quarts out
Same amount old Dex/Merc in (pre 2005/GM, pre 2006/Ford--jug dino store brand-works well)

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
2006 Hyundai Tucson 2.7L V6

Out: Unknown ATF

In: Mobil 3309 approx. 8L

D&F (x2) with a short drive in between.

Doesn't Hyundai call for SP III? Mobil 3309 is the same a Toyota T-IV.

Yes it does; you are correct. No negative impact in shift quality.

Here's another one I did yesterday:

2006 Honda Civic 2.0L DOHC 16V M/T

Out: Clean fluid that smelled like gear oil.

In: 1.5L AC Delco Synchromesh.

Take that Honda!

2nd and 3rd gear clash gone too.

Last weekend - both vehicles were bought used with about 21,000 miles.

2011 Lexus HS250h with 30,000 miles - drain and fill hybrid transaxle with 4 quarts Toyota WS. Shocked that this stuff is now $12.00 a quart at my local dealer. Stuck with WS as I heard the hybrid transaxle had electric motors in it and was more particular about fluid. Any comments or experience with other fluids?

2010 Lexus RX350 AWD with 37,000 - 2 cold drain and fills with Mag 1 low viscosity multi vehicle synthetic ATF. I was able to drain about 2 quarts each time. Drove it around in between and did the second one the next day. Shifts great, maybe a bit smoother than before. According to the percentage spreadsheet I have about 3.58 quarts new ATF and 5.92 quarts old ATF. It was so easy to do I may do another drain and fill at the next oil change in a few months.
My (former) 2008 MINI Cooper S had a 6 speed Aisin automatic in which I did the same cold drain and fill procedure with the overflow plug removed. However MINI did not put in a fill plug, Someone at the MINI forum figured out which bolt allowed you to fill the tranny. However, it was so small it took 10-20 minutes to pour in one quart! Plus getting at that bolt was very difficult.

93 Corvette TH400, 94,000 miles. Fluid was brown/ red.
Did a drop and fill with Hastings filter and MaxLife. Then finished with cooler line flush with Maxlife and added LG Red. Only has about 100 miles so far and doing well.

2008 Trailblazer, 55,000 miles, factory fill. Fluid red.

Pan drop and filter change. Replaced 4 quarts with Valvoline Full Synthetic Dex VI. Added a drain plug to the pan.

1994 Ford Ranger

M5OD manual transmission...
Out: very dark, nasty fluid that smelled like gear oil
In: Auto Zone Dex/Merc

Borg Warner 1354 transfer case...
Out: dirty ATF of some kind
In: Auto Zone Dex/Merc

Back