m1 0w40 in place of a 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also remember you can probably turn that oil on craiglist fairly quick if you don't price it too high. I know you paid only $1/quart for it, if you want to sell it quick, probably $40/2 jugs should go quick.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If mixing was such a big deal, then there would be engine failure when everyone changes oil brands every OCI and the remaining oil in the engine caused a problem... But there isn't.

Strawman much ?

Who said it was a big deal...big enough to break every engine every oil change ???

Read what IS and ISN'T promised by the miscibility guidelines.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If mixing was such a big deal, then there would be engine failure when everyone changes oil brands every OCI and the remaining oil in the engine caused a problem... But there isn't.

Strawman much ?

Who said it was a big deal...big enough to break every engine every oil change ???

Read what IS and ISN'T promised by the miscibility guidelines.

Yes i read it..

Did it say that every engine was going to fail from residual oil on the next oil change ?

The fact that they are miscible, and bad stuff nearly never occurs doesn't make a blend an appropriate answer for every question asked on BITOG.

Last edited:
There is also a big difference between residual oil left behind from an OCI or top off of a burner and adding 40% or more to a mix.

In a GM 3.6L DI V6, I would have no issues running the 0W40 oil straight up. Many people have been running this oil "off-the-record" in these engines for quite some time now due to its robustness and the fact that the DI V6 is hard on oil, and if it were to cause any issue, something would have come up by now. Is it optimal? Who knows! But I doubt it will hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back